Ugly Old Fridge Kegerator Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDog007

Reaction score
Excited to show my new kegerator, almost complete.

Got this old thing from my late Grandpa's basement, definitely saw a gem in the rough.
1.jpg

Decided a good paint job requires the doors to come off...
2.jpg

Gonna need to drink some homebrew to get this hard work done.
3.jpg

I'm not a pro but it worked...
4.jpg

I need beer to put in my kegs so had to share this.
5.jpg

Decided on Navy Blue which happens to match my favorite Seattle Seahawks.
6.jpg

Why not do 5 taps? Love this drip tray.
7.jpg

It was harder to put the door back on by yourself but I had another beer and made it work.
8.jpg

Success.... All I need now is to figure out which decals I'm going to put on it to truly brand it as my Seahawks Kegerator.
9.jpg

Completed Kegerator, cooling down to check the right temp settings, hopefully it does what I want it to do. Tomorrow I finish the job.
99.jpg

Thinking about handing some neon yellow custom handles to it to finish off the color scheme and plan on ordering a seahawks vinyl logo for the freezer door to make it pop. Gonna put beer stickers, etc... on one side. Chose silver color on the body of the fridge, doors are blue.

Very happy with how it turned out, not a professional paint job but it should work just fine.

Any thoughts on if I might need some sort of air recirculation, fan, etc...?

:mug:

What I found as ironic is I just noticed today there is a little Pittsburgh Steelers sticker on the inside wall of the fridge which is now clean by the way. Poetic justice?

:)

Looks really good! What type of grit and paper did you use to sand out the rust? Also did you use a spray can or ?

Just asking because I need to do something similar.

Looks Great!

I used 180 & 220, the paint came off fairly easy, I only roughed it up to get the glossy finish off where it still existed, also had some rust spots that I took to bare metal. I could have gone finer if I wanted a professional looking job but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out as is. I used a power vibrating sander that I had in my shop and it worked pretty well. About 3 hours sanding prep.

I spray canned the whole thing. I know I am going to be much more picky on my own work than others are and I thought it looked good in the end. I can definitely tell, however, that it was spray canned.

If I was rich I would have it pro painted or buy one already done...

The most important thing I can stress is painting is all about the prep work and patience to put multiple coats.

Cheers!

Back