Ugh :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygar

Reaction score
My rubber stopper was a little small for my 3 gal carboy and accidentally pushed it into the carboy when fixing a blow off tube. It's down in the beer. So... I'm sure I'm not the only one that has done this. Is batch ruined?

My rubber stopper was a little small for my 3 gal carboy and accidentally pushed it into the carboy when fixing a blow off tube. It's down in the beer. So... I'm sure I'm not the only one that has done this. Is batch ruined?

I had this happen with a 1 gallon batch and was worried about an infection. It turned out fine although they didn't last long. The real kicker is trying to fish the stopper out. I eventually put the carboy and all in the recycling bin. RDWHAHB

Lol yep. I have a 3 gal carboy and online it said a 6.5 stopper fits it... yea right... it's too small and you really have to be careful or bam down it goes. Oh well learn right? Haha

No, it's fine.
And use the plastic bag trick once the carboy is empty to get the stopper out!

Moral of the story is NEVER give up too soon on a (significant) problem and ALWAYS give Google and HBT a shot. I'm frequently amazed at what you can find out there when you least expect it.

Moral of the story is NEVER give up too soon on a (significant) problem and ALWAYS give Google and HBT a shot. I'm frequently amazed at what you can find out there when you least expect it.
Yep haha. I am more concerned about the beer. I have a lot of tenacity and I will get that stopper out one way or another :)

I am guessing that since the stopper fell in easily, it will come out fairly easily using that awesome bag technique. My guess is that you probably sanitized the stopper before placing it, so your chance of infection is relatively small. It's amazing what can be learned in these forums and how ingenious homebrewers are!

I am guessing that since the stopper fell in easily, it will come out fairly easily using that awesome bag technique. My guess is that you probably sanitized the stopper before placing it, so your chance of infection is relatively small. It's amazing what can be learned in these forums and how ingenious homebrewers are!

Yes it was sanitized. And since it went in easily... I think I can get it out. I agree learning tons being on the forum here!

This was the same content of my first post to HBT about 12 years ago. Only difference, mine was the little rubber grommet on the bucket lid. My beer was seemingly unaffected and my worry over the small things quickly eroded. I’m not saying it’s hard to mess up a batch, but beer is very resilient. Brew on!

This was the same content of my first post to HBT about 12 years ago. Only difference, mine was the little rubber grommet on the bucket lid. My beer was seemingly unaffected and my worry over the small things quickly eroded. I’m not saying it’s hard to mess up a batch, but beer is very resilient. Brew on!

Yep we will carry on! I had another stopper (same size) don fit worth crap. Want to slip out all time... so well tape haha. I will get a universal stopper and see if it fits better. But looking good at this point
20200823_122352.jpg

Is the brown splotches normal? My other carboys were green and really couldn't see krausen in them

20200823_175727.jpg

Yep we will carry on! I had another stopper (same size) don fit worth crap. Want to slip out all time... so well tape haha. I will get a universal stopper and see if it fits better. But looking good at this point
View attachment 695174

you know, at first glance at that pic....i was thinking those bottles are HUGE!

Ask your local shop or search online for the “universal carboy bung”. I use a mixture of 3, 5, and sometimes 6 gallon carboys. I find the universal bungs to fit all of them well and I only use those now. They are plastic, not gum or rubber so they also go in firmly and don’t back out like the rubber ones do. Not sure if it fits a 1 gallon jug, but I would tend to think not.

Universal Carboy Bungs have a longer taper and so provide a tighter seal. Also the top lip makes it so the bung cannot fall in the carboy. They look like this and come drilled or undrilled.

588069ED-D666-4421-90C7-434143B85E2C.jpeg

Last edited:
Ask your local shop or search online for the “universal carboy bung”. I use a mixture of 3, 5, and sometimes 6 gallon carboys. I find the universal bungs to fit all of them well and I only use those now. They are plastic, not gum or rubber so they also go in firmly and don’t back out like the rubber ones do. Not sure if it fits a 1 gallon jug, but I would tend to think not.

Universal Carboy Bungs have a longer taper and so provide a tighter seal. Also the top lip makes it so the bung cannot fall in the carboy. They look like this and come drilled or undrilled.

View attachment 695306

Yep I have those on my shopping list!

recommend the universal bungs as well; they don't have the tendency to push themselves out when wet

Back