Ugh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjames6688

Reaction score
Ahhhh, the joys of a NOOB!
I pushed the bung a bit far in (flush) and after trying to get it out it went a bit further... I think i will try the shoelace and nail trick to get it out.
It has only been in there for a few days, but wanted to get a reading.
I think i will let it sit in the paint closet for a few more weeks, then try :)

Any reviews on the Russian River Blind Pig IPA? Pliny is my fav, this is my first brew... All is going well so far! ...I think. lol

Carboy.jpg

Could be worse -- I lost the whole stopper into my current batch. It was on Christmas Eve night, to add insult to injury; I couldn't get a replacement for 36 hours, until my LHBS opened up the day after Christmas.

On the plus side, my bathroom smelled like a delicious combination of porter and rising bread for 36 hours. I'd be bummed if the beer ends up infected, though...

Blind Pig is a damn fine IPA. It's not sneaky like Pliny; the hops are more overt, and it tastes like a 6% beer because it's a 6% beer, not because it's an 8% beer that's trying to get you into trouble. In that way, it's less of an exceptional beer -- it's not so different from a Racer 5 or a Stone IPA or whatever -- but if you like hoppy IPA's, you'll want to try it at least once (or twice, or three times, or...)

Let it go. Put some plastic wrap over the hole. Retrieve your stopper after you wrack the wort to a bottling bucket or keg. Towel trick works well but the carboy has to be emptied first.

Thanks for all the support and info. I think the screwdriver bit might do the trick... if not then i will try the nail and shoe string... option #3 is to say f**k it and shove it in all the way!

Another q -

It says to ferment for 3-7 days, then add the 2nd round of hops (Dry hopping?)... Seems like i should wait a couple weeks before i add them... then wait a couple more weeks before bottling? Yes? No?

I'd be pretty stoked if this turned out to be like Stone IPA! My top 5 for sure.

Back