Uestion about using auto syphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tonght will be the first time I'm racking toa bottling bucket using an auto syphon. Do I press the tip of the syphon to the bottom of the primary or try to take the beer from above the trub and work down? Does the syphon do a decent job of leaving the trub behind? Thank you.

make sure the little cup guard is on the bottom of the auto-siphon. stick the auto-siphon about 7 inches below the surface of the beer and get it going. once the flow stabilizes slowly lower it to the bottom. once on the bottom try not to move it. a little movement is ok just try not to disturb the trub.

I just used my autosiphon (the right way) for the first time on Sunday. I put the racking cane about halfway down in the liquid to start. Be sure to give it a good downward pump to get it started. If you don't pump it hard enough then the liquid will fall back before the siphon starts. After the siphon started I just kept lowering the racking cane as the level of beer fell in the primary until I was just about to the trub. Then I tilted the primary slowly to get almost all of the beer off the yeast cake.

I just recently got an auto syphon and have only used it one time. I started the syphon and kept it well above the trub. There is a red cap that fits on the bottom of the tube which is supposed to aid in not picking up trub when you get down to the bottom. Watch your tube going to the bottling bucket. If you start seeing "floaties" passing thru then stop.

I love the auto syphon, makes transfering to bottling bucket a breeze. :rockin:

From a newbie who has only known using the syphon, it is awesome at leaving the stuff behind....I start with it just above the trub or cake....then as I get low I tilt it so I keep plenty of liquid around it to reduce any airbubbles as it gets low on beer. I end up with just like a 1oz or two that I don't get out bucket.

You just put on tube and bottling wand and then put place it in bucket just above trub pull up and push down once or twice and that is it.

Sorry thought you were bottling. Same process for going to bucket just no bottling want stuff. just ease the tube on the syphon (if it's run under hot water makes it easier)

Not sure about the point of the 7 inches deal mentioned above I place it in just a inch or so above trub or so or as far as it will go to allow the tube in the bucket to touch bottom so less air messing with beer.

and probably disturbed the trub getting more crap in your bucket than you really needed to.

Possibly, but the beer was still clear and it seems to be carbing well. Any extra yeasties that went into suspension from my tilting will just fall out after they carb my bottles.

The autosiphon is pulling beer across the trub if you drop it to the bottom anyway so I doubt my method disturbs it to the point of being a problem. Not only that but the yeast cake was firmly packed at the bottom and I strain my wort into the primary to get most of the hop residue and grain material out.

and probably disturbed the trub getting more crap in your bucket than you really needed to.

Cake doesn't get distrubed much at all really as long as it's done slowly and the bottom of the syphon is kept from atcually touching it.

I usually bring my bucket or carboy out the night before transfering and tilt it by putting a book under one side. It lets every thing settle and I don't have to disturb it to get all the beer out of it that I can.

Even though everyone warned me/told me to use the cap that goes on the end of the auto siphon... I didn't realize that it was something other than the black end that is attached to it.... mine is black though not red. Anyhow, I kinda got a lot of the trub into my bottling bucket, and so probably more than would be desired went into the bottles as well... does this stuff affect the taste very much or do I just have to be more careful when I pour out of the bottles? Thanks again.

Back