Type of DME a big deal in starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
I am making a Deep Dark Wheat...OG of 1.071. All I have to make a starter with is light dry malt extract. This doesn't match the beer style. But, is that going to matter? I'm making a 1L starter. I would assume I could chill & decant it when done and I'd be fine!?!?!

I would think so.

I often use leftover sparge water from the previous brew that I reduce to around 1.040, irrespective of the style.

I guess you wouldn't want to use a really dark wort.

The few ounces you keep in the flask after decanting shouldn't impact the batch. I've used light DME for starters used in darker beers with no noticeable effect. Many dark beers use light malts for the base malt anyway, so a tiny bit of light DME won't alter things.

I am making a Deep Dark Wheat...OG of 1.071. All I have to make a starter with is light dry malt extract. This doesn't match the beer style. But, is that going to matter? I'm making a 1L starter. I would assume I could chill & decant it when done and I'd be fine!?!?!

Assuming you are using a Wheat style/ low floculation yeast, expect it to take some time to settle for decanting. I tried this and realize I was pouring off yeast (it was cloudy) and decided for my wheat just to add it in. It had been off the stir plate only about 24 hours though.

The only time I'd be concerned about color is if I was doing something really light and using a dark dme and couldn't decant. ... which for me is never, I don't do light.

What about a wheat DME for an IPA? Will the wheat DME used for the starter impact the flavor?

What about a wheat DME for an IPA? Will the wheat DME used for the starter impact the flavor?

I don't think so. the best thing to do would be to make the starter, let it settle and decant. If possible, getting all the used starter out, and a little fresh clean water to stir up the yeast into a solution for pitching.

As someone else mentioned (in an all-grain context), ideally you'd be using some combination of wheat and light DME to make your wort anyway, and getting color by steeping specialty grains.

Back