two weeks and still fermenting :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N9BOW

Reaction score
It' been 18 days and my batch still has a few bubbles on the top of the carboy and occasionally some come out of the airlock. it has been steady at 68degrees through the whole fermentation. it looked real good for the first 4 days then seemed to slow down.

I just took a reading and It its 1.012.
Is this ok or do I need to give this more time? Im still trying to understand the whole gravity thing. I think I want 1.015 right? - my bad on brew day I did a 10 gallon batch of the american Pale ale I brewed previously and the brew day was kinda hectic with pumps not working stuck mash etc. Im willing to give it longer if need be..just worried now that I took off the stopper to get the sample out of the carboy.

thanks
N9BOW -Eric

Your yeast and fermentation determine what the final gravity is going to be. If it fermented to 1.012 and your recipe called for 1.015, then it just means that the yeast were hungrier. It's a slightly stronger and dryer beer than planned.

Wait two more days and take another gravity reading. If it's still at 1.012, you can keg/bottle it.

I have to ask: you seem to have a lot of equipment for one of your first batches. What with pumps and doing 10 gallons. Most people start with 5 gallon batches and minimal equipment.

didn't really understand your post to be honest,

but just leave it until the gravity is stable. You want whatever gravity you are aiming for, there isn't a set number that is better than others. 1.012 and 1.015 are both fine for a pale ale. Don't be worried about taking the stopper off of the carboy (you did put it back though i assume). You are worrying too much, this is supposed to be fun man.

heck I don't even think about checking gravity for three weeks. I know my beer finishes before this time but a little conditioning time never hurts. Its really not a rush its done when its done.

thanks for the replies.... I'm not stressed out just want to start enjoying this batch but don't want to rush if I should not. Unfortunately I did not take an OG reading and was not sure what the final was supposed to be. Being the impatient sort I wanted to see if the beer was ready for the keg and to see if bubbles still being formed after 18 days was something folks on the forum experience and is normal or not.

I'm having a blast with this batch being the second for me. I liked the first so much I wanted twice as much.

I meant to say pump, just 1 not pumps.

Anyway, as far as equipment goes yes I have a lot for a beginner, I am cursed with a go big or go home personality defect.
I started last spring assembling brew pots from a local manufacturers scratch and dent bins. I have 2 30 gallon stainless pots one for the BK the other for the HLT and i have an 11 gallon stainless insulated MLT. It took me the summer and fall to acquire, assemble and mount all the fitting and get the hoses all set up. I dont have a brew stand yet so my pots sit on their KickA burners and the MLT sits higher then the kettles. I am brewing like i have a brutus countertop 20 right now until I get my stand an a second pump. The problems started last batch when i cracked the housing for the pump. I have a hose clamp fix in place that still lets air in. I struggled getting it primed or keeping primed threw the recirculating mash. Thats what made the brew day hecktic.. To continue with my curse I picked up a used kegerator for a couple hundred bucks, mounted two perlic faucets through door kits from keg connection, took down the tower from the keggerator for some other project later on. I live way our in the boonies and want to have it all right here. Now i only have to go as far as the garage for a brew :)

Again thanks for the replies..I will check again in a couple days and probably just keg it up then.

N9BOW - Eric

Since you didn't check the OG you have no idea what the expectant FG is likely to be.

Anyway, ride it out. It's probably getting close. Patience will be rewarded.

but waiting is sooo hard... I'm thirsty..... :p

Will do!...I'll bide my time here for a couple more days.
I will keg this up tomorrow or Saturday..That will be three weeks on the nose.... the sample I took for the hydrometer reading yesterday was very tasty.

N9BOW - Eric

Good for you spending the time to get all the equipment together. Since you are in the boonies you might order yourself a spare pump head.

I ordered one from Cedar Rapids..
I'l remember in the future that when it leaks don't tighten another quarter turn...
take the fitting out and add a few more turns of teflon tape and then hand tighten it.

I priced a stainless pump head and ouch that was 100.00 more then the entire pump.

N9BOW - Eric

Latest posts

Back