Two terms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayeness

Reaction score
I've have seen these two terms thrown around often here but need them fully explained to me.

1. "Drinking Green"
2. "Flameout" (used when talking about brew day).

Think I know what they mean but 2x checking.

I've have seen these two terms thrown around often here but need them fully explained to me.

1. "Drinking Green"
2. "Flameout" (used when talking about brew day).

Think I know what they mean but 2x checking.

Green beer hasn't had a chance to condition, and there is a sharp flavor that will smooth out given a little time.

"Flameout" is cutting the heat at the end of the boil. If you're boiling electrically it doesn't make sense, but it's for propane it does. Either way, end of heat applied to the boil.

Thanks.
I guess I understood green.
Did not fully understand flameout.
Appreciated.

Flameout is often used to describe the point where hops are added to the kettle once the heat source is stopped. Knockout is the process of moving the wort from the kettle to the fermenter.

Flameout is often used to describe the point where hops are added to the kettle once the heat source is stopped. Knockout is the process of moving the wort from the kettle to the fermenter.

I don't doubt the term 'knockout' has been used that way as well and that very well may be the correct way, but I've definitely seen it used in articles and recipes as the point in the process where the heating element is turned off

Back