Two Hearted IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heh... "malty"..... this is more like a cotton-candy bomb.
It’s really not sweet at all and seems to compliment the hop schedule. Its a great reddish DIPA.

It’s not a recipe I made up FWIW, and I tried it in a few one gallon brews first, but it is one of my favorites and I’ll probably make it a few more times.

I'm done trying new IPA's for now. I feel reasonably caught up, and I am satisfied with my own IPA-ish recipes as they are. I will try a different type of beer next. I am trying to gain knowledge after a long layoff, so continuing to buy IPA's is not the right move at this time.
Perfect time release… 🤭🤭🤭

Attachments

• 251400A1-C1D8-441E-B667-94A156D322FF.jpeg
    251400A1-C1D8-441E-B667-94A156D322FF.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
I brewed this beer (Two Hearted Ale) several times about 2 years ago. It tuned out nearly identical to store bought and was very good. I used this recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/bells-two-hearted-ale-clone-close-as-they-come.91488/
This thread got me thinking about brewing it again and I found this recipe from Bell's so I would think it might be better:
https://store.bellsbeer.com/products/two-hearted-ale-clone-all-grain-ingredient-kit
Does anybody have any experience with both and have a preference?
Also, Bell's recipe calls for both Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt and Pale Ale Malt. If I used just 2-Row do you think it would be noticeable?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Also, Bell's recipe calls for both Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt and Pale Ale Malt. If I used just 2-Row do you think it would be noticeable?
Extremely noticeable - Briess brewers malt (a.k.a ‘Pale Malt’ or 2-Row) is a straight to the bone malt when compared with lets say Rahr’s ‘Pale Ale’ Malt which is kilned slightly more and with much more flavor.. I’ve been brewing with Rahr’s Pale Ale Malt and it’s such a great malt. I will even recommend ditching the Briess and going for Rahr’s 2-Row and Rahrs Pale Ale Malt in combination for a much better beer.

Bell's recipe calls for both Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt and Pale Ale Malt. If I used just 2-Row do you think it would be noticeable?

Extremely noticeable - Briess brewers malt (a.k.a ‘Pale Malt’ or 2-Row) is a straight to the bone malt when compared with lets say Rahr’s ‘Pale Ale’ Malt which is kilned slightly more and with much more flavor.. I’ve been brewing with Rahr’s Pale Ale Malt and it’s such a great malt. I will even recommend ditching the Briess and going for Rahr’s 2-Row and Rahrs Pale Ale Malt in combination for a much better beer.

What's your goal? They're basically giving you their recipe. If I wanted to make Bell's then I would do what they tell me. If I want to make my own unique Bell's-inspired brew, then I would tweak away (within reason).

Having said that, I'd imagine that the most important ingredients are the hops and the yeast, which they sell separately.

What's your goal? They're basically giving you their recipe. If I wanted to make Bell's then I would do what they tell me. If I want to make my own unique Bell's-inspired brew, then I would tweak away (within reason).

Having said that, I'd imagine that the most important ingredients are the hops and the yeast, which they sell separately.
My goal is to replicate Bell's Two Hearted Ale and was wondering if anybody had experience with both. I made a recipe (1st link) several years ago and it turned out almost identical and just as good. Bell's recipe (2nd link) seems quite different, especially with regard to the dry hopping. Bell's recipe calls for 3.5 oz dry hop vs. 0.5 oz which is very different. I just ordered what I need for the Bell's recipe so I guess I will eventually see for myself.

Last edited:
My goal is to replicate Bell's Two Hearted Ale and was wondering if anybody had experience with both. I made a recipe (1st link) several years ago and it turned out almost identical and just as good. Bell's recipe (2nd link) seems quite different, especially with regard to the dry hopping. Bell's recipe calls for 3.5 oz dry hop vs. 0.5 oz which is very different. I just ordered what I need for the Bell's recipe so I guess I will eventually see for myself.
I have the first one conditioning right now so glad to hear it was a good replica. I'll be interested in what you find.

I have the first one conditioning right now so glad to hear it was a good replica. I'll be interested in what you find.
I have several lagers I have planned to brew while it's still cold out so it may be a couple of months but I'll report back. I'm interested too. BTW, I will be using yeast from empty bottles Bell's which is what I have done it the past.

I have several lagers I have planned to brew while it's still cold out so it may be a couple of months but I'll report back. I'm interested too. BTW, I will be using yeast from empty bottles Bell's which is what I have done it the past.
I bought the bells yeast (after I started brewing this one. Going to use it on next batch which isn’t two hearted - makes sense I know)

Back