Twist off wine bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaBear

Reaction score
So someone was selling wine bottles they had stripped and cleaned to be used as wedding center pieces but changed opinion and were no longer using them.

$20 for 42 bottles seemed like a good deal to me so I agreed to meet and checked out a few bottles from two out of four boxes.

The couple I looked at were identical bottles and looked good. So I assumed all the bottles were of the same variety and I took them home.

Well… today I was bottling six gallons of Black Currant wine… when I noticed that about half of the bottles were originally twist off.

I know beer cappers don’t typically seal well on twist off. But is there any issue with corking a twist off wine bottle?

The opening seems to be slightly wider.
Maybe a bit thinner glass.

But otherwise I’m lot really sure if I can use them or not.

Also, side note… one of the bottles has half a cork inside it… any idea how to remove that? Or should I just set it out for recycling?

I've successfully corked wine bottles that originally were twist off caps. I use #9 1 1/2 inch corks.

To remove a cork is easy. You just need a plastic bag.

I sometimes use bottles that were designed for twist off caps. The lips are less thick than standard bottles and so you do need to be a little more careful when corking: I have had one - perhaps two - bottles break when I used my floor corker.

and that bag trick definitely does work.

Last edited:
Couldn’t get the bag trick to work.

Maybe because it’s like a third of a cork?

I don’t know. I filled the bottle with sugar water and bread yeast, poked the floating cork with a chop stick till it looked in alignment.

Now it’s outside where I’m hoping it builds up enough Pressure from the CO2 to push the cork out.

What kind of bag are you using? I think the preferred bag is the one you get at the supermarket check-out, not the bag in which you put their tomatoes or peppers.

Latest posts

Back