twist off bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No! The twist bottle will not properly hold the pressure produced by the yeast. A proper seal will not be created. That's why you never see a bottle conditioned beer with a twist off cap

No, twist off bottles are made of thinner glass then pry-off bottles. Plus the threads would not make a good seal.

Ok thanks had a couple of 22oz bombers I was going to try but I won't chance it . First time I saw bottles that size twist off I was surprised when I bought them(shipyard imperial pilsner) can you tell by looking at them ?

If it's a twist-off bottle, you will see diagonal indentations on the side of the cap (that coincides with the twist-off bottle threads) as well as, at the very least, arrows telling you which way to twist the cap, if not the words "twist-off cap" somewhere.

If they don't, that's weird IMHO.

I've used twist off bottles many times with great success. I have yet to have one blow up or not seal. A good bench capper is all you need. My bench capper is a worn out socket that I ground the inside smooth so I get a tight fit. I attach it to my drill press and voila, perfectly capped beers. The twist off bottles are crazy hard to twist off though, almost have to gorilla grip them. You can buy "thinner" caps that are designed to be twisted off, can't remember where, but have seen them online. Quick google search would reveal these.

Big breweries do it right? So why can't we? Broken down to basics, big breweries capping set up is more or less a bench capper.

Now, trying to use a wing capper, with normal caps on a twist off bottle? Yes, I can see many issues with that.

Twist off bottles are thinner, I don't use mine more than 5 times before I toss them and they are always a last resort before I use them. I noticed this when I first started using them and they would randomly shatter when capping. After reviewing my notes is when I discovered around the 6th and even 7th times of them being reused, they would shatter.

I use twist off bottles regularly. I use a hammer on hand capper. The only issue has been that you have to pay a little more attention to insure a proper seal but really haven't had any issues. The only bottles I've broken (which can be an issue with hammer on cappers for obvious reasons) have been non standard shaped soda bottles designed for regular crown capping (non-twist off).

Back