Twin handle vs bench capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanfox

Reaction score
What are the advantages to the Bench capper vs the twin handle capper?
Is it worth the expense to upgrade?

It may be worth the expense if you tend to do odd size and style bottles and/or have the space to have a bench capper. I've heard that twistoffs can be capped easier with a bench capper, although I've seen twistoffs capped with a wing capper with no issues.

I got tired of occasionally shearing the tops off of bottles with the wing capper. I know it's preventable if you're careful, but after growing to hate bottling I found it harder to take my time and be careful when capping. The day I sheared 3 bottles bottling one batch (the 2nd and 3rd were no doubt due to increasing frustration), I ordered a bench capper and it works great. The lever action is less awkward to use, as you don't have to put your weight over the bottle with both hands like with a wing capper. When filling bottles from the keg with the BMBF, I have successfully capped bottles with only a single hand, with the other hand busy with the filler and next bottle.

I have used a bench capper for many years. I bought a wing style capper to have on hand, so I can cap a 1/2 bottle and put back in fridge. I ended up using it for my last batch of beer, instead of the bench style capper, and it worked great. Was much faster for me. I did crunch 3-4 caps, but I was moving pretty quickly.

One thing I like about it is that you dont' have to adjust for different height bottles. With the bench capper, I always had to mess with the handle for those odd bottles. If you only use one height bottle, it's no big deal.

Funkenjaeger said:
I got tired of occasionally shearing the tops off of bottles with the wing capper.
+1. I had a wing capper and it wasn't a good experience - the shearing made bottling even messier and more frustrating. I have a bench capper now and I've never had a problem with it.

Bench capper is much easier..wing cappers..well most of them are plastic and weak..I have an old steel bench capper that works better than anything else I have every used..

Jay

discgolfin said:
\I have an old steel bench capper that works better than anything else I have every used..

Same here, old style, metal-made, near prefect operation...

Does not allow the switch to the larger "bell", I think (for champagne bottles and such).

I've always used a wing capper, but my last bottling experience resulted in two broken bottles. I had the opportunity to pick up a bench capper recently and as a result - I'm actually looking forward to bottling tomorrow!

It's the Ferrari Super Agata which is easy to height-adjust on the fly.

My wife bought me a bench capper for Valentine's Day, and I have only used it on one batch. I never had a problem with the wing capper, but I watched my brother in law break two bottles with it. Once I got the hang of the bench capper I really liked it. If you can easilly afford the bench capper I say go for it. If you are buying new I recommend getting the self adjusting model for a couple more dollars. If money is an issue the wing capper will work just fine for most bottles.

IrregularPulse said:
So you can re-cap twist offs?

no just capping in general, i dont have a capper yet and i wanted to know if it was worth spending the extra money to start out with an auto adjusting bench capper vs a wing capper and upgrading latter

the auto adjust bench capper can not be beat! wing cappers suck.

While trying to cap some New Belgium bottles this weekend, I managed to break the little clips that hold the wing capper together. THAT SUCKS! I managed to get the rest cappes, but I had to pull the capper off of each bottle. NO FUN!
I will be getting a bench capper this weekend, and I will be replacing the winged one for a spare!
What would you do with 5 gallons of primed beer and no capper?

Do like I do - get the wing style and have SWMBO cap em all while you fill em.

I've capped maybe 20 bottles out of 220 so far. :D

NitrouStang96 said:
Do like I do - get the wing style and have SWMBO cap em all while you fill em.

I've capped maybe 20 bottles out of 220 so far. :D

Great Idea! That way if a bottle shatters, she is the one with hands full of glass shards, instead of you! :mug:

Chivalry is dead :(

I've never heard of breaking bottles with the wing capper. I always feel like I'm goign to crush a bottle with the bench capper, although I've never actually done it. Maybe I'll go back to using the bench capper to avoid breaking bottles, and only use the wing capper for the ocassional half-empty bottle to put back in the fridge. (The reason I bought it in the first place.)

Just bought a bench capper so I can cap the Al bottles my BIL gave me. They have a cool Steelers logo and 75th anniversary label. I just have to get past the Bud Lite label :(

Plus I got the larger bell so I can use those Belgian and Champagne bottles I have been saving.

I havn't used it yet so I can't comment on easy of use or effectiveness.

Craig

I have an OLD bench capper that apparently my great? grandfather used to use for bottling root beer (or hooch!). I have yet to use it because it's rather clunky compared the the wing style IMHO. Maybe I'll get some caps and a few empty bottles and try it out. The big catch is I have no place to mount the thing.

thedailyaustin said:
The bench capper was only $8 more at my LHBS so I thought it was well worth it.

At my LHBS the wing cappers are $17 and the Bench cappers are $40. Mabe that helps paint the picture of whether or not it would be worth the expence to start out with a bench capper or upgrade later.

Kegs. You can thank ME later.... :D

(I've used a wing capper with no complaints. I mean, bottling's going to suck regardless, but the capper's not the reason).

the_bird said:

(I've used a wing capper with no complaints. I mean, bottling's going to suck regardless, but the capper's not the reason).

Haha, touche! I now have kegs. I have to disagree though, a single stroke on the capper vs the wing pinching will save you loads of time over the many cases of brew until you get together the cash for a keg system. I don't think bottling is terrible with a bench capper, a little more time consuming and space consuming than kegs is true. Graduating from bottles to kegs is a big step for me :D.

max4677 said:
I have an OLD bench capper that apparently my great? grandfather used to use for bottling root beer (or hooch!). I have yet to use it because it's rather clunky compared the the wing style IMHO. Maybe I'll get some caps and a few empty bottles and try it out. The big catch is I have no place to mount the thing.

Can you mount it to a piece of plywood or something? What is the mount, a clamp or screw down?

the_bird said:

True, but i do the majority of my brewing experiments with 1 gal batches. Havent upgraded to 5 gal yet, looking for a good price on better bottles. And I dont have the buget yet for a $200 kegging system

I like my wing. That said, I'm leaving in 5min to go pick up a like new Sanyo 4911. Get ready to be bugged in the kegging forum.

"HAY GUYZ WHERE DO YOU PUT THE HOLE FOR THE TOWER"

I've bottled 500+ with my capper and have never sheared a cap or chipped a bottle. If I had a room dedicated to brewing I'd probably invest in a bench capper, but given my current situation its not practicle. I have no complaints. I actually enjoy bottling almost as much as brewing. It brings my beer that much closer to my lips :mug:

I've bottled 2,200 plus bottles with a wing capper and have broken one bottle in the process. Every time I bottle I also check for nicks and cracks in all my bottles. The wing capper gives me some guff with less standard bottles. I'd like a bench capper for that, but it's kinda far down my equipment list.

I got the Ferrari automatic adjusting one right after Christmas. I love it every time I use it. I was scared my wing capper was going to wear out and break half way through a batch.

Yeah, I use an old old old one. I had to screw it to a piece of plywood, but it works great. I haven't tried it with screwtop bottles but I will next time.

zoebisch01 said:
Can you mount it to a piece of plywood or something? What is the mount, a clamp or screw down?

Screw holes in the bottom plate.

Limited Visibility said:
All these talk about the winged capper are scaring me.... I am about to bottle my first brew with one soon, in a couple of days

no need to worry, wing cappers work great. just take your time.

I attach my bench capper (it's an antique) to a piece of wood. Works great. I've never used a wing capper in over 20 years of homebrewing and don't expect to. They look like a mess just waiting to happen.

I upgraded to a kegging system. now the only bottleing im doing is 2lt. bottles to take to parties :tank:

Bench capper all the way. Emily cappers are nylon piece of craps. I've seen some old Italian made wingers that were not made of nylon that looked pretty awesome though but your everyday nylon winger? Screw those.

Latest posts

Back