Turning the bottle up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonOi

Reaction score
I am about to bottle my very first batch of beer and I have read that when it's time to drink the beer it is to be poured into a glass so that bottom of the beer in the bottle doesn't end up being consumed. Is this true or can the beer be consumed straight out of the bottle?

I drink my homebrew from a glass due to sediment at the bottom of the bottle. From what I understand its yeast and other stuff you dont really want to drink. They call it the homebrew pour (if im not mistaken) and while you are pouring the beer watch the bottle and try to catch the yeast and other stuff at the shoulder of the bottle. Enjoy and welcome to the addiction. :mug:

Pouring is always the best choice. You get more of the aroma and flavor from the mouth of a glass rather than the neck of a bottle. I've found that the amount of yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle really depends on the style of beer and how long it's allowed to condition in the primary/secondary fermenters. Right now I have an American Pale Ale that I can pour with little risk of getting any yeast, but I also have a Belgian wit that can get unappetizing amounts of yeast if it's poured too quickly (although it's all part of the wheat experience).

As I understand it live yeast is a great source of B vitamins, but can also be a diuretic in large quantities -- so watch what you're getting! :cross:

Took a sixxer of homebrew to a friends party last night and drank straight from the bottle with no ill effects or flavors (wlp002 and 001) YMMV :mug:

Some of my first brews had a lot of sediment that didn't drop before I bottled, and it was a real problem that needed to be left behind when I poured. My best bottles yesterday had just a thin layer, and only about an ounce of beer left behind in a liter bottle was probably still more than I needed.
If I had poured it, it would have clouded and foamed the glass, and left a little grit... but I've seen that in some commercial beers, too. I don't really mind it as much, but it can cause some intestinal distress if you're not already used to unfiltered beer and yeast.
Save yourself the extra grit and beerfarts- use a glass.

It wont hurt you, its just a bit "yeasty" flavor and clouds the beer. A good craft beer should be sipped out of a glass not a bottle anyhow. Thats how/when you get the true aroma and flavor of a beer. YES the type of glass does matter as well. (at least to me)

I fill my glass and empty the bottle. You can take steps in bottling to limit how much stuff is in your bottles. Try cold crashing your brew a couple days before bottling. It knocks quite a bit to the bottom of your secondary so you're bottling bucket is pretty stuff free. The beer still carbs just fine as there is enough yeast to do the trick. It may add a couple days to the carb process, but the finish is worth it.

While there is quite a debate on secondaries, I find for me, I get a clearer beer using a secondary because there simply is less stuff to end up in the bottling bucket that way.

Back