Turning on panel for first time , auberins dspr question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewvy

Reaction score
I'm firing up my new control panel for first time. First off, should the contactors make a buzzing sound when activated? Second after looking at the instructions for the auberins dspr boil controller it says the element won't be active unless there is a temp probe hooked up. Is that accurate? I have no sensor in my boil vessel.

I'm firing up my new control panel for first time. First off, should the contactors make a buzzing sound when activated? Second after looking at the instructions for the auberins dspr boil controller it says the element won't be active unless there is a temp probe hooked up. Is that accurate? I have no sensor in my boil vessel.
The contactors should make a click when activated, but if they are buzzing, then you probably have the wrong type of coil for what's connected to the coil (DC rather than AC coil, wrong coil voltage, etc.) What is the exact PN of your contactor, and what voltage is wired to the coil?

The DSPR1 does not require a temp probe in order to operate. All of the DSPRxxx models do require a temp probe before they will operate (as do all ordinary PID's.) Think about it. If the controller doesn't know what the temp is, it doesn't know how much power to apply to maintain temperature, or in heat to boil mode, know when to back off power as boil temp nears.

Brew on :mug:

The contactors should make a click when activated, but if they are buzzing, then you probably have the wrong type of coil for what's connected to the coil (DC rather than AC coil, wrong coil voltage, etc.) What is the exact PN of your contactor, and what voltage is wired to the coil?

The DSPR1 does not require a temp probe in order to operate. All of the DSPRxxx models do require a temp probe before they will operate (as do all ordinary PID's.) Think about it. If the controller doesn't know what the temp is, it doesn't know how much power to apply to maintain temperature, or in heat to boil mode, know when to back off power as boil temp nears.

Brew on :mug:
I have the dspr1, maybe I was looking at wrong instructions. Here is a pic of the parts list I followed
Screenshot_20190221-081911_Drive.jpg

Back