Turkey Fryer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMartin

Reaction score
I'm looking to graduate from partial mash to all grain brewing, but my financial situation is restricted and the equipment expense is a bit prohibitive.

Here's what I started thinking: I have access to a 7.5g outdoor turkey frier (it's not mine but i can use it whenever I want.) There doesn't seem to be a big difference between that and a regular outdoor brew kettle. I'll only be doing 5g recipes and using BIAB method.

Am I crazy?

I don't think so...

I have an 8 gallon and really you shouldn't have more then 6.5 gallons to start with. The biggest thing is at the beginning of your boil... You don't want to do a boilover... So have some fermcap or a little spray bottle of water....

Lots of people (me included) use turkey friers. I use two for an 8 gallon boil.

I brew 5-gallon biab in a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer and have no plans to change. The boil can be interesting but you can sparge a bit less for more headroom in the kettle, then top up a few minutes from the end of the boil. It helps with the limited headroom in the kettle, but really I don't have a problem boiling a full batch if I use fermcap.

I just did my first BIAB (have done batch sparge in coolers previously) today in a 6.5g turkey fryer. I shot for a 3g batch and it worked well, probably could do a 4g batch next time fairly easily, although I usually do 2.5g - 3.0g batches anyways.
You're not crazy, and it is an easy way to do an all grain batch with minimal additional investment.

I just did two batches of all grain brew in a bag using a 7 1/2 gallon turkey fryer. The first one I filled it with the full volume of water, heated it to strike temperature, and added the grain. I thought I was going to overflow it before I got the last of the grain in there but I had half an inch to spare.

The second batch I only used 5 gallons of water instead of the 6 1/2 for the mash which left me with a little room in the fryer. I then used my smaller pot to heat water to sparge or rinse my grain into a smaller container while I brought the larger one to a boil. Once the hot break was over I added the remaining liquid and got a second but smaller hot break which didn't even try to boil over. Added the hops carefully and I was on my way to a full hour boil time.

I splurged and got a nice 9 gallon ss pot and use the turkey fryer pot for the sparge. I can do 18 pounds of grain BIAB with about 5 gallons of water, but that is tight. I usually will augment with DME if I need higher gravity than 15 pounds will get me. Works great!!

save the turkey fryer pot for your boil and build a mash tun from a cooler.

I built this mash tun for about $20. new 48 quart cooler from walmart, $18. piece of old 3/4" copper pipe--free (had it laying around) brass fitting for a 3/8" rubber hose to a 3/4 NPT thread to fit into the end of the copper pipe--free (had it laying around) and a length of about 5' of new rubber hose $5.

I just did a batch of wheat beer and got 7 gallons of pre-boil wort out of it. 9 lbs of grain, mashed at 155, then sparged out. my pre-boil gravity was 1.03 so had I boiled down to 5 gallons or used the full grain bill that I wanted to (LHBS was 3 lbs shy of wheat, so I used some wheat DME), it probably would have been very close to 1.05 gravity. --as it was, I added 3lbs of DME to make up for the 3 lbs shy wheat that i wanted, and also 2 lbs of honey, and ended up with 1.063

photo(25).JPG

it worked out well...I mashed, then did a full drain, and added my sparge and did a full drain, then did a 2nd sparge and drained it all into my brew pot.

If you are doing BIAB you can use a Colman type cooler round for your mash. W/the grain bag you don't need to build nothing into the cooler. If you can't go full volumne in the cooler you can always add some water to the kettle I do believe. Or wait till you get to the fermenter and top off there. Am I wrong?

C-Rider said:
If you are doing BIAB you can use a Colman type cooler round for your mash. W/the grain bag you don't need to build nothing into the cooler. If you can't go full volumne in the cooler you can always add some water to the kettle I do believe. Or wait till you get to the fermenter and top off there. Am I wrong?

Nope. Good idea. I bought my pot before i even knew about BIAB.

Back