Turkey Fryer Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeerGuy

Reaction score
I am currently using a 7 year old turkey fryer burner to boil my beer. I am not getting it to a boil fast enough. I took apart the burner and cleaned it all out and the flame is good but I feel that I am loosing too much heat. Are there any mods that have been done effectively to increase the heat output (BTU) to these burners? I know I can purchase another burner made for higher temperatures but, as you all know, money is tight.

Do you know how many BTU/hr you are getting and you are supposed to be getting? You might just need to increase your efficiency.

Assuming the body can handle it, you're still looking at upgrading the regulator for increased output of gas.

For several years I used a 8.5 gal. SS turkey fryer kettle and burner. It worked well, but I got some scorching and also wanted a little more volume to prevent boil overs.

A few months ago I bought a new 10 gallon tri-clad kettle and a taller Bayou Classic burner that was advertise as being adequate for pots up to 20 gallons. I could not get 8 gallons of water up to a boil with the new setup.

As I was reading the literature that came with the burner I noticed that it said to use with pots under a certain diameter(can't remember exactly). My new kettle was a greater diameter than recommended which caused the flame, and the bulk of the heat, to blow under the ring at the top of the burner frame and outward rather than concentrating on the bottom of the kettle. I cut 4 pieces of 5/8" concrete rebar about 8" long and fitted them to the top of the burner frame. This created adequate space above the top ring of the frame for the flame to blow through and thus concentrate the heat on the bottom of the kettle.. Problem silved.

I've had to set up a screen on windy days to maintain temperature but I usually have to throttle mine back. I'm never in a hurry so waiting for boil isn't an issue for me.

I started with a turkey fryer setup, and I got soot buildup in the burner and on outside of the pot, plus scorching residue in the pot. I replaced the burner with a 6 inch banjo style burner.
It is VASTLY better. No soot, no scorching and seems faster. When I received a Dark Star burner as a gift, same deal - soot (10 times worse) and scorching. I put a 6" banjo burner on that and all better.

Here is one I bought from AgriSupply. It did require some minor mods - It needs to be mounted higher, and the cutout in the sheet metal wraparound needed to made higher as well. I did not need to add any wind shield, but I rarely operate it in wind (once?).

Even though this is a Low Pressure burner, the high pressure regulator that came with both units work fine for me, on both burners. You can turn it up too far and blow the flame off the jets, but I'm quite happy with how it works overall. Just be sure you have the air regulator set for no yellow flame.

All,

I want to thank you for all your help with this. I am not too sure what my output BTU's are currently, but I think I will either replace the entire unit or I will purchase a new low pressure burner to swap out into this housing. I have had some scorching when I used extract but now that I am doing BIAB I have not had that once. I'll post what I get here once I make my decision.

Thanks again and cheers! :mug:

I don't have trouble losing heat, but I hate to waste it. I bought some aluminum flashing to wrap loosely around my burner, just standing on the ground. It keeps a lot of heat from blowing in the wind.

I don't have trouble losing heat, but I hate to waste it. I bought some aluminum flashing to wrap loosely around my burner, just standing on the ground. It keeps a lot of heat from blowing in the wind.

Nice! I thought about doing that with my setup. Do you have any photos of the flashing on your rig?

I struggle with posting photos, or even taking them. But I just got 6' of 12" flashing, and wrap it around the burner. I keep meaning to put a spring clamp on it, or drill for a screw. But it seems to do fine just standing there. I know it holds the heat because when I first used it, it burned more paint off the stand. If I take it away, the boil slows.

Back