Turkey fryer at Walmart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Hey all....

I new to the brewing world and still getting my equipment together. Was at Walmart today and saw they have a Turkey Fryer on sale (something like this one), but on sale for $30.00...

Was wondering if this would be ok for a first time brewer.

Thanks

Check the pot size, if it's a 40 qt'r. grab one. Even if it is only a 30, you can use it, that's what I started with. It makes for tight boils and you have to be careful to avoid scorching if you use extract. When you go AG, a 30 qt pot is a good mash tun.

Turkey burners put out enough heat for a good boil.

Cool.... another question. I live in a small apartment. Would it be ok to use this in my kitchen? or is outside better?

Propane burners throw off a LOT of CO. Don't think about using it inside, even with all the windows open it's far too dangerous. Plus, that's a lot of flame for a small apartment, and I've got to believe that you'll be absolutely roasting in no time because the heat it throws off.

But the CO issue really means that using it indoors is not an option. I know a few people are here do, but it's dangerous as hell and I know one guy in particular has had several minor incidents that could have quickly gotten out of hand. Just not worth messing around with, IMHO.

I recall someone mentioning how they melted the kitchen floor......doesn't sound like a good idea to use inside!

Cregar said:
Cool.... another question. I live in a small apartment. Would it be ok to use this in my kitchen? or is outside better?

Why don't just use your stove? Certainly puts out enough heat, just not for 6 1/2 gallons of wort. 3.... 3 1/2.... maybe 4... I usually do something in the range of 3 to 3 1/2 gallons. My last two batches has been AG using the method at sockmonkeyandbeer (http://www3.telus.net/sockmonkeysandbeer/beer/HowIBrew/howIbrew.html). The first batch did not work out for a variety of reasons, but the second one worked out real well! Had a lot of fun with it.

Leaky barrel said:
If you have a parking lot in front of your apartment brew there. You'll attract a lot of curious people who may be interested in brewing.

Personally I was actually thinking of doing this later when it cools off for kicks. It would be a lot of fun and your right it certainly woudl attract some spectators:)

Cregar said:
Hey all....

I new to the brewing world and still getting my equipment together. Was at Walmart today and saw they have a Turkey Fryer on sale (something like this one), but on sale for $30.00...

Was wondering if this would be ok for a first time brewer.

Thanks
Check Target too. I picked up a few remote control turkey fryers for $15 each.

Good luck,
Wild

Is it bad to use aluminimum? I have heard it contributes to alzheimer's... :confused: All the turkey friers I see are aluminimum...

I used to use an aluminum pot, you'll ingest significantly more aluminum from an antacid tablet than you'll get from your brewpot.
.......... What was the Question?

Leaky barrel said:
If you have a parking lot in front of your apartment brew there. You'll attract a lot of curious people who may be interested in brewing.

Didn't somebody post a couple months back about having the cops called on them when they were brewing outside their apartment? Person thought they were cooking meth or something...

haha I would love to have the cops come thinking my brew was meth.

One another note if you look around walmart does sell a trurkey frier with a SS pot. It says it's a 30qt pot but I filled it and it only held a little over 6.5 gallons...

the_bird said:
Didn't somebody post a couple months back about having the cops called on them when they were brewing outside their apartment? Person thought they were cooking meth or something...

(after police and myself LOAO) "Nice to meet you officers, heres a couple of brews. Have a great day."

My SWMBO is all jumpy with the police too. Tell you ... one time at the end of a summer... forget which one... few years back. It was that year we had a bunch of trouble at a school (shootings). I was actually a counselor at a Summer camp and had no idea of it actually... we were kind of behind on things in our own world you know. Well I taught rocketry all Summer long. Was a pretty cool Summer... making rockets... shooting them off with the kids. Helped a few cancer kids get what little act they had left together. Well I did not have work and had come back home... starting of the school year. There was this middle school across the street and I was all excited that maybe they would be interested in using my experience I had just had. Introduced myself to the principle and all... lived just right across the street.

Well I'm walking to our town, which is like 1/2 mile away from the school. One police car came up in front of me... another came up from behind me. They came out of the cars....two had thier hands a bit too close to the holsters for me to feel too comfortable. All I was able to say was, "Hi, what can I do for you officers today." They told me that they had received a call from a prinicple down the road. That someone came to his school talking about explosives and that he was concerned for the welfare of the kids there. Well I explained everything that I had told him. That I had just came from a summer camp and thought he and the kids would enjoy working with some rockets. That I had a spotless record on safety and I, being between work and school, would not need to be paid. At first they kind of looked at me wierd.... they asked me if I had had any proof at the moment of anything I had explained them. I had a membership card of a national rocket organization I used to belong too. While they were mulling over things I had a question for them. "What was it that got the principal all bent out of shape?" "Well your hat probably set him off."..... "My hat... my hat?" Then I looked at my hat and realized that I was wearing a hat the kids got me.... it says on the back "I blow things up!" I just started laughing... "Well... I taught rocketry... rocketry as in things that go up... "I blow things up" as in the direction up.... rockets...." They finally got it and started LTAO! Handed me back the membership card and my drivers liscence (that says I live right across the street from the school). That was that..... when I got back home my family explained to me what had happend at that school (not the school I had visited but the school where ther shootings were) and that schools were now paranoid about anything.

Back