Turkey brining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoodsbrewing

Reaction score
With turkey day quickly approaching. My excitement is becoming hard to contain. I have been planning on smoking my Thanksgiving turkey. I recently learned a good smoked turkey needs to be brined 12 to 24 hours. Prior to smoking. I have found a couple of brines I am interested in doing. But I thought I would see if anyone here had any ideas or brines they recommend. So if anyone cares to share I’m all ears [emoji3]

I don't do anything special, 1 cup of salt and 1 cup of sugar per gallon. I heat it on the stove in a small pot to get it mixed in well and move it to a 1 gallon pitcher and set in the fridge 1-2 days before.
I spatchcock my turkey and soak overnight in brine. Season and smoke for 2 hours uncovered. Add crapton of butter and smoke for another 2 hours covered in a roasting pan.

The only things that really matter in a brine are water and salt. Beyond that, throw or pour in anything you like. Onions and cider are two good options.

EDIT : Ha! My 1,000th post is a turkey!

I have a bunch of old homebrew sitting around, anyone suggest incorporating them into the brine?
Does beer add anything to the brine?

Unless you buy an expensive turkey, the vast majority sold in grocery stores are already brined. Read the label and you'll see how much salt has already been added.

Yes it will add beer flavor, sub some light colored beer for the water plus onions! beer brine is nice with chicken and pork too.

I have been reading a few on the Smoking Meat Forum, They do a non brine method I think I will try. I only have a 11 pound bird, didnt want to go too big... hopefully will come out well...

I suggest breaking down the Breast, Legs and Thighs. This way you can still use the cavity to make stock from and reduce down for gravy. Brine it in your fridge for 2 days and then hang it in your smoker. If you try to do the whole bird cook times will differ and chances are the thigh won't cook properly.

For the people that are asking about homebrew beers they have i would suggest not to brine with beer but make your gravy from beer. When doing this method make sure you cook down all the liqueur in your beer while simmering for atleast 1.5hours, use brown butter roux as well to add to the flavor. It will help to bring out the natural flavors your looking for.

I suggest injecting instead of brining unless you have an all natural bird.
You can inject with basically anything you want. Many recipes online.
I also suggest spatchcocking as previously mentioned. It will cut down the smoke time and white and dark meat will cook uniformly. Get a good thermometer to monitor temps. Nothing worse than a dry bird.

Have been using salt and malt last few years. This year had a batch of subpar dark amber ale that I used for brine. Salt, garlic and onion powder, three bay leaves and four gal. beer. Best flavor for smoked turkeys I have done so far. I smoked three 15 lb. turkeys on wild cherry with a touch of pecan and oak.

I checked the turkey I plan to cook in a few weeks.
The wrapping indicates the turkey already has salt added.

I am considering brining with a mixture of beer onion-garlic, water and a reduced level of salt
Or
Just using the beer to make a gravy!

Frozen turkeys may have been washed in salt water to speed the freezing. This isn't the same as the brining process which tenderizes and changes the texture of the meat while adding moisture. Brine doesn't really add much salt (about 1% is absorbed).

Silly question-
When brining the turkey with beer, does the beer need to be carbonated?

About to bottle and if it makes not difference I will I just put in jug!

Storing this in the garage until the 23rd.
Nice and malty.
Hope this works with the bird!
IMG_1677.jpg

So how much flavor can I expect a gallon of beer to impart into a turkey?

IMG_1759.jpg

Unfortunately my brew thermometer is broke. Only reads 45f, however strip brew thermometer reads 36f.
If ice doesn’t melt in my garage, turkey shouldn’t spoil.
Especially when it is in a ice water bath

Back