2019 Thanksgiving Turkey - who's smokin' this year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodent

Rumbler of the low end
Reaction score
Finishing up my brine for this year's turkey smoking, and letting it cool before prepping the birds. This year is a repeat brine from several years back - the family favorite to date

Into 4G water add
- 3.5C kosher salt
- 4C sugar
- 1ea 4oz bottle Zatarain's Shrimp and Crab Boil concentrate
- 1/2C Worcestershire sauce
- 4T 'restaurant grind' black pepper

I'll brine 2ea 12lb turkeys in a plastic bucket for 12-14 hours, then let the birds air-dry for a few hours so the skin will crispen up during smoking

I prefer apple wood chunks or a 70/30 mix of apple and cherry for the smoke source

These birds are smoked the day prior and served chilled. Images to come ...

I am doing a bird on my Kamado Joe but more of a roast than a smoke. Mad Max is my spirit animal so I just follow his guide with a few modifications.

I am doing a bird on my Kamado Joe but more of a roast than a smoke. Mad Max is my spirit animal so I just follow his guide with a few modifications.

Big family confab. 14 adults, 6 kids So lots of food. Roast Turkey, Maryland stuffed ham, and I get to do my favorite smoked Turkey breast.

But it's not just any old smoked turkey breast. First, split and de-bone a large turkey breast. Then sous vide the split breasts in a vacuum bag for 4 hours @ 148F, with a light glaze of orange marmalade and balsamic vinegar. Finish the breasts for 3~4 hours on a charcoal smoker (I prefer apple wood for this recipe) at a very low temperature, since the breasts are fully cooked after the sous vide bath, basting once with the reserved marmalade and balsamic sauce. Slice and serve warm.

The turkey comes out smokey sweet, extremely juicy and unbelievably tender.

Hoping your holidays are as happy as mine.

Brooo Brother

I have the turkey uncovered in the fridge to dry the skin. 20# Butterball will go on the WSM at 0700 tomorrow AM.

Edit: it’s 0700 and the show has begun:

0AC3D649-9784-4B42-9CD7-80E10D509C9A.jpeg

Edit: Almost there:

FC5794B9-3014-46B8-B52E-8F565B519AAF.jpeg

Last edited:
Back