Turbid Mashing a NEIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmance

Reaction score
Hi,

Thinking about some of my favorite cans to wait in line for at $5 each got me wondering what exactly are they doing to make this mud like appearance. Sure, flaked oats/wheat etc and the hop oils lend to this. But this stuff is murky. Could a turbid mash be utilized to gain this cloudiness?

If so, what would this look like in a BIAB setup? :mug:

I'm on the 4th iteration of a NEIPA that I've been working on and mine are coming out plenty hazy without a complex mash schedule. I'm also only using around 8% flaked oats.

Additionally, I'm having a hard time imagining what a turbid mash would like in a BIAB world. . . . I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can chime in there.

I'm not sure its rocket science. They use flaked adjuncts, massive, dry hops, low flocculating yeast and voila hella ugly beer! While a turbid mash would create a hazy wort I would think it would be far to labor intensive for the majority of if any breweries to be doing for a neipa.

...flaked adjuncts, massive, dry hops, low flocculating yeast...

Yep

In my experience, the dry hop is the biggest contributor to that cloudiness. Flaked adjunct and yeast definitely help, but I've been able to get cloudiness without flaked adjuncts and low floc yeast.

This one had 20% flaked, 10oz in the dry hop and used 1318 yeast.
5N4EKCG.jpg

Flaked oats/wheat/barley in high concentration then Dryhop during active fermentation (I've been doing at day 3).
I really think dry hopping during active fermentation is a big part of the haze.
I even made one with a high flocculating yeast (Imperial Joystick), and it's still pretty hazy.
I have have also done high CL to SO4 (130 CL / SO4 90)and balanced CL to SO4 (80/80). still hazy.
I also cold crash for two days before transfer to serving Keg.
Both of these brews have been in the Keggerator for over a month and are still hazy and have retained a powerful vibrant hop aroma.

w/Wyeast 1318 - Damn hazy, I'd say too hazy but people like it.
Maris Otter 34.8%
Briess two-row 34.8%
Canadian honey malt 2.4%
Flaked Barley 6.2%
Flaked Oats 12.5%
Flaked Wheat 9.3%
Hop additions 15min, 5min, 1min. then hopstand for 30min @150F
Cryo-Hops (Mosaic, Citra, Cascade Lupulin Powder), + some Kohatu I had lying around. targeted 56 IBU not counting hop-stand

w/ Joystick yeast -Hazy Orange really pretty
Maris Otter 82.5%
Canadian honey malt 3.1%
Flaked Barley 4.8%
Flaked Oats 4.8%
Flaked Wheat 4.8%
Hops additions 60min, 15min, 5min, 1min. then hopstand for 30min @145F
Hops Idaho 7,Comet, Columbus, Apollo - targeted 70 IBU not counting hop-stand

Photo of NEIPA w/1318 yeast

NEIPA_1.jpg

Yeah, a turbid mash would yield a pretty nasty brew me thinks, especially if you're just going to use Sach on it. Typically a turbid mash is used to produce a really starchy, dextrinous wort that other yeasts and bugs can feast on in a long fermentation (e.g. for a lambic or other sour brew). I would think if you spent the 8+ hours doing the turbid mash and only fermented with WY1318 or the like, you'd end up with a drain pour.

In my opinion biotransformation, or hops added during active fermentation, is a huge contributor to haze. I brewed the Treehouse Julius clone HERE and total grist only had about 10% oats. I also used an ESB yeast that attenuated 80% and has very high flocculation.

julius.jpg

Wow, thank you. I really wasn't fully convinced until i saw these posts. I'm definitely going to try some of these recipes.

For the turbid mash, i was thinking not bringing the temp past 152 aside form a mash out, but I can see how this would make a too much starch.

Biscuits, that looks amazing. How did it turn out? how far off from TH Julius?

I wish I could tell you, I have only had the pleasure of drinking their Green and Alter Ego...which is why I wanted to take a shot at brewing Julius. I will say that I typically don't drink during the week but I have not been abiding by that rule lately...can't resist a short pour after dinner every night. I've had my share of NEIPAs....Bissell Brothers, The Veil, and basically everything from VT..and this recipe definitely hits the mark.

Yep

In my experience, the dry hop is the biggest contributor to that cloudiness. Flaked adjunct and yeast definitely help, but I've been able to get cloudiness without flaked adjuncts and low floc yeast.

This one had 20% flaked, 10oz in the dry hop and used 1318 yeast.
5N4EKCG.jpg

Looks amazing! :thumbsup: Would you be willing to share the recipe?

Looks amazing! :thumbsup: Would you be willing to share the recipe?

5 gallon batch

38% Pale Ale (4.75)
38% Pilsner (4.75)
10% Flaked Oats (1.25)
10% Flaked Wheat (1.25)
2% Lactose (0.25)
2% Maltodextrin (0.25)

Mash at 156F for 60 min

2.50 oz Apollo at Flameout
2.00 oz Galaxy on Day 2
8.00 oz Galaxy on Day 4

Latest posts