Tubing won't dry completely, is this ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Nino

Reaction score
I'm just curious if this could cause possible infections, I try hanging my tubes but the longer ones still have moisture in them. As long as I give them a starsan soak and rinse will they be fine?

Tubing takes a long time to dry, or never dry, because there is very little air flow. Must not be a problem since most everyone has the same damp tubing problem without infections. No one is even marketing a tubing dryer to take care of a problem that most likely doesn't exist. Hanging tubing without a coil is good.

Flush your tubing immediately after use before any specks have a chance to stick and grow bacteria. A couple times a year I soak my tubing in a weak PBW solution for a couple of hours then wipe and rinse.

Ok whew. I'm a bit of a neat freak so seeing droplets / moisture in my tubing is driving me insane especially after hanging them for days haha.

speaking of PBW, I love that stuff. I almost want to use it on my pots / pans that I use for cooking cause it takes everything right off with no effort :)

Good question. I've often wondered the same but in 10 years of brewing and winding up hoses and putting them away wet after a starsan soak... my vote is you're fine as well.

I often whip my tubing around to get any moisture towards the ends or out of the tubing. But yeah, not an issue. I always just put the tubing in a bucket of starsan before use and rinse immediately after use.

Rev.

You can take an air nozzle hooked to an air compressor and run air through it. Will get most of the water droplets out but some will stay.
I do hang my tubing to dry and it takes forever (week+) sometimes depending on temp. I've never had any issues. I usually do a oxy soak then starsan before each use.

I have hung mine after use and everything seemed ok, but next time I went to use them some black spots had appeared where some droplets were.. For the price of tubing I tossed and used new. Now I blow them all out with compressed air and haven't had any issues

Back