Tubing size for 6.5 g glass carboy

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

engine3lt

Reaction score
First time poster.

I am getting my equipment ready for my first batch (or two). I went out this morning and picked up some tubing to make blowoff tubes for my fermenters. Of course when I got home the 1.25OD tubing didn't fit the 6.5 g glass carboy I have. It fit the 6 g size like a glove. I've searched the forum but I'm not having any luck finding what size I need for the 6.5 g size. Anyone know right off the top of their head?

Thanks again. This is a great site. I've learned so much already from all of you.

Beerthoven

Reaction score
Just measure the diameter of the opening. That's what I did. Turns out the 1.25"OD tubing fits my 6.5 gallon glass carboy perfectly.

s3n8

Reaction score
The 1.25 OD tubing I got from Lowes fits in both my 6.5G and 5G glass carboys. It is a little more snug in the 5, but fits both fine.

OP
E

engine3lt

Reaction score
Wish that was the case here. Really fits the 6g great but you can see air around the tube in the 6.5.

OP
E

engine3lt

Reaction score
I never could find a blow off tube that fit my 6.5 gallon carboy. Since my first batch will be a hefe, I don't want to risk going without one.

Here's what I came up with: I cut the inside of a universal carboy bung out and pushed the blowoff tube into that. Then seated this in the carboy. You folks think this will work ok?

s3n8

Reaction score
As long as is seals up you should be fine.

I did a quick pressure test to verify mine, blow into tube, see if it holds pressure, sanitize and you are good to go.

OP
E

engine3lt

Reaction score
Tried your blow test, and it held up fine. The only thing I can see that dislodges it is movement of the hose. Thanks.

jds

Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't work.

By the way, that's a cool fermenter stand. Nicely done.

Latest posts