Tubing advice is needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I need a little tubing advice for my new Kegerator build. My old system is just 2 kegs in a small frig, using party taps. My new kegerator frig can handle 4 keg (2 5-gal and 2 3-gal).

First I can't decide on what type of beer tubing to buy. I've decided that I'd like to use a PVC free type tubing (I know it is more costly). I'm trying to decide between Accuflex or Ultra Barrier Silver Tubing. Is there another brand to consider? From what I've read Accuflex is stiffer than the other and requires special fittings (which is okay). I'm using a an upright refrigerator as my kegerator and I'm planning to mount the faucets on the door, so I'm more worried about the stiffness of the Accuflex. Will that be an issue when opening and closing the door? Will that introduce leaks? Unfortunately the info out on the web is inconsistant, I read the Accuflex has less internal resistance and would require a lot more tubing inside the kegerator and I've also read that the internal resistance is near the same! If it is less, handling the extra stiff Accuflex tubing may be an issue. I also read that Ultra Barrier Silver Tubing kinks easily..... Can any shed any light on this? I'd like to order the equipment soon.

My second concern is what length do I make the hoses? Again, from what I've read, the length is determined by many factors, such as the internal resistance in the tubing, the temp of the beer, the type of beer, its desired carbonation level, etc...etc. Well, I brew all different types of beer and I'd like my kegerator to work for all. Is that realistic? My CO2 system can deliver two different pressures, so today I tweak the pressure on the kegs to control the foam. So to combat this issue I was thinking that if I purchase Flow Control Faucets (likely Intertap) that I could use one length of tubing and adjust the flow at the faucet to better control the foam issue. Am I on the right track.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I need a little tubing advice for my new Kegerator build. My old system is just 2 kegs in a small frig, using party taps. My new kegerator frig can handle 4 keg (2 5-gal and 2 3-gal).

First I can't decide on what type of beer tubing to buy. I've decided that I'd like to use a PVC free type tubing (I know it is more costly). I'm trying to decide between Accuflex or Ultra Barrier Silver Tubing. Is there another brand to consider? From what I've read Accuflex is stiffer than the other and requires special fittings (which is okay). I'm using a an upright refrigerator as my kegerator and I'm planning to mount the faucets on the door, so I'm more worried about the stiffness of the Accuflex. Will that be an issue when opening and closing the door? Will that introduce leaks? Unfortunately the info out on the web is inconsistant, I read the Accuflex has less internal resistance and would require a lot more tubing inside the kegerator and I've also read that the internal resistance is near the same! If it is less, handling the extra stiff Accuflex tubing may be an issue. I also read that Ultra Barrier Silver Tubing kinks easily..... Can any shed any light on this? I'd like to order the equipment soon.

My second concern is what length do I make the hoses? Again, from what I've read, the length is determined by many factors, such as the internal resistance in the tubing, the temp of the beer, the type of beer, its desired carbonation level, etc...etc. Well, I brew all different types of beer and I'd like my kegerator to work for all. Is that realistic? My CO2 system can deliver two different pressures, so today I tweak the pressure on the kegs to control the foam. So to combat this issue I was thinking that if I purchase Flow Control Faucets (likely Intertap) that I could use one length of tubing and adjust the flow at the faucet to better control the foam issue. Am I on the right track.

I can't help you witth the non PVC stuff (why?), but I would stick with something that is flexible personally. I've always used 3/16" ID heavy wall vinyl. 6-7' lengths, 12 psi. Works fine.

There are lots of calculations you can do based on the distance you are running, elevation gain/drop, etc. But in a fridge kegerator, you'll not have to worry about any of that. The only problem you'll run into is NOT having enough "backpressure", which is why you run 3/16" ID, and 7' of it.

It might be possible to run less, and simulate the backpressure with a flow control faucet, but I've not done it. It could effect pour rate, how I'm not sure.

I read the Accuflex has less internal resistance and would require a lot more tubing inside the kegerator and I've also read that the internal resistance is near the same!

I've been running the Accuflex for several years and found the resistance to be a little lower than PVC. 15' of Accuflex will be similar to 10' of PVC. I have flow control faucets now and run 6' with no issues. And using the John Guest fittings means no more hose clamps, which is a major win in my book. I'll never go back to the cheap stuff.

As far as concerns about stiffness causing problems with opening/closing the door, it won't be an issue.

Cant help with the Non PVC but I can say I had issues with cheap Home depot vinyl line and switched the Bevlex and have been using the same line for a couple years with no issues

I run 4 ft lines with Perlick flow control faucets and get perfect pours everytime..I only use the flow control in the summer for the first pour when the tower is warmer.
I also use Sanke kegs and I'm somewhat convinced the design of corny kegs with there skinny dipe tubes and poppets is the reason for foam issues without long lines.

I actually called Keg connection and a few other places that sell kegs and asked why is it that every kegerator ever sold comes with 4/5 ft lines yet every home brewer needs 10 ft lines to combat foam. He said we never get a single complaint or they would start selling them with longer lines. Which is why I think the corny design plays a role as most people that by a kegerator use it for sanke kegs with commercial beer and never have a problem with short lines...like me

I used Accu Bev Seal in mine from Birdman Brewing... and the fittings... dont even think about it.. just get them!! its just like the sharkbite type fittings for plumbing... couldnt be any easier to install...literally 10 seconds... just push it together... not even that expensive either... I have 3 taps with a 50' line cut 3 ways... no issues yet on that, but I have fans to keep the taps and tower within 2 degrees of the kegs...

Here are the fittings I used... couldnt be any happier... cant even imagine trying to force that on something...
http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/shank-connector-for-accuflex-bev-seal/

I just coiled mine up like it naturally wants to... zero issues with it.

Back