Trying to get excited about this American IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkotRamathorn

Reaction score
So, trying to put together a recipe that excites me, I have some ideas for a barleywine, but I've made quite a few high gravity malt bombs recently so I want to make my 3rd IPA and use up some of the hops I have laying around. So basically I have 1 malt bill but not 100% sure about which hop schedule/combinations I want to go with.

9#Marris Otter
1#White Wheat (little gravity boost and some extra head retention)
1#Honey Malt (some say may this be too much, other say this is just right so I'll take my chances on the 1# since it's almost the only specialty malt in the bill)
6oz Biscuit Malt
4oz Acidulated Malt
1#Candi Syrup Clear (I will be making this at home and adding at high krausen so it doesn't mess up hop utilization and gives the yeast some rocket fuel)

I am hoping the sugar will dry it out as 1.065 before sugar additions(1.075 after sugar), I regularly get 80-85% attenuation out of US05 so I don't think I am far off the mark *praying* it gets down to at least 1.012.

As for the hops, I should end up right around 65IBUs

1.5oz Chinook 11.6% 60min 63IBUs
1oz Cascade 6.5% 1min 1IBU
1oz Wakatu 7% 1min 1IBU
1oz Cascade 6.5% 0min
2oz Wakatu 7% 0min
(poor mans whirlpool with a spoon, cooling the wort to around 170-180F and do about 20 minutes of gentle swirling the wort with a sanitized spoon)
2oz Citra and 2oz Wakatu dry hop for 7 days in secondary

I could switch out a lot of the hops for other potentials, I have EKGs, (more) Chinook, Fuggles, Goldings, Willamette. I also have 13oz of dried whole leaf home grown Cascade and 21oz of wet whole leaf home grown Cascade, though I was thinking of saving these for a big black double IPA. My intention was to make a big-ish super fruity tooty tropical and dry American IPA. Though if you have suggestions I like to hear them, like "Save the 2oz of citra for something else dummy".

Edit: I am hoping to make this a relatively clear clean beer with a cold crash and I swear I've read other people using cold crashing to drop dry hops out of suspension.

Latest posts

Back