Trying to get a bigger batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyboy847

Reaction score
I do stovetop biab, and the maximum volume of wort I'm able to boil is around 4 and a half gallons. I'm thinking about brewing a 4½ gallon batch by starting the boil with that volume and then near the end of the boil I would just top up all the boil-off losses.

I would probably dunk -sparge the grain bag and use the sparge water for the top-up to up my efficiency a little.

Is there any problem to this approach, or something I should know before trying this? Does this sound ok? Thaks for any help! :)

I have topped up a kettle with reserved runnings during the boil to make up for boil off, it seems to work fine.

Of course not the BEST approach in theory, as a small portion of your wort doesn't get a full length boil, but I would do it again if I had to.

For the cost of an additional pound of grain, you possibly could spare the hassle and top up with water....

Back