Trying to find a hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
So I'm planning my brews for the next 2-3 months. I'm half and half on Hefeweizen but I want to make one. the last few commercial ones I've had I didn't like because they have an overall spiciness to them. I know I've had a couple I liked that were more summery with little or no spice to it (although I have no idea what the brand/name was). Any idea on the proper designation for this type? Any recommendations for extract kits that you think I would like (Ordering from AHS)?

Sounds like you want an american wheat ale like Oberon (which doesn't have the german hefe 'spice' flavor -- no banana or clove).

If you want a kit, try this one: Austin Homebrew Supply

If you want to do a partial mash, then search around here for the recipe. From what I gather, its 50/50 wheat/2 row and some Saaz hops. More here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/oberon-clone-ahs-104557/

Haven't had the beer it refers to but I've narrowed it down to these two kits. Apparently its this phenolic flavor I don't like ? I just want a more relaxed hefeweizen. Any comments on these two kits? Anyone brew them?

AHS German Weissbier
Austin Homebrew Supply

or

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (Bayer Staats Brauerei) (AHS Clone)
Austin Homebrew Supply

Haven't had the beer it refers to but I've narrowed it down to these two kits. Apparently its this phenolic flavor I don't like ? I just want a more relaxed hefeweizen. Any comments on these two kits? Anyone brew them?

AHS German Weissbier
Austin Homebrew Supply

or

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (Bayer Staats Brauerei) (AHS Clone)
Austin Homebrew Supply

I think the post above is right--you don't want a hefeweizen, you want an American wheat beer. They are also cloudy wheat beers similar in color to hefes (and unlike the paler color of Belgian-style wits like Blue Moon, Allagash White, Hoegaarden), but with much subtler banana/clove notes than hefeweizens have.

Note that commercial American wheats are often (confusingly) labelled with "hefeweizen" in the name when they aren't actual hefeweizens. Pyramid Hefeweizen and Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen are two widely available examples.

Here are notes from the BJCP style guidelines:
BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 06
The clove and banana aromas common to German hefeweizens are inappropriate...Esters can be moderate to none, but should not take on a German Weizen character (banana). No clove phenols, although a light spiciness from wheat or rye is acceptable

And from Beeradvocate's style description:
American Pale Wheat Ale - BeerAdvocate
An Americanized version of a Hefe Weizen, these beers range within the pale to golden range in color....German Weizen flavors and aromas of banana esters and clove-like phenols will not be found. Most use a substantial percentage of wheat malt. Hop character will be low to high but most are moderate in bitterness

Thanks. I'll have to look into it more but I think you may be right. Tricked by marketing as always.

Really need to start learning the flavors and noticing ingredients instead of just drinking. Although this gives me an excuse to go buy a bunch of random 6-packs.

Curious as to what you are looking for, because I have a dead on clone for Shiner Hefe, which isn't really a Hefe but what ever :cross:.

Back