Trying to figure this out-why do some have direct fire mlt on herms systems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thedutchtouch

Reaction score
I've seen multiple three vessel HERMS or RIMS systems that also have a direct fire burner mounted under MLT. Can anyone explain why you would need/want a direct fire option if you have a HERMS or RIMS setup? Or were these set ups probably direct fire originally and then converted/upgraded to HERMS etc? Thanks in advance

When I made my rig, it was my first start at AG. I had been doing Extract brews up till then. I didn't want to automate too much before I knew what I was doing. I also wanted my rig to double as a 3 burner stove to be used with my smoker, in the event I decided to get serious about BBQ events (which I didn't).

That said, I love being able to direct fire the MLT. On brew days, I routinely knock out 2-3 10 gal batches. But I do that because it adds very little to the brew day itself (in time, the cost of the boil itself). The minute I finish collecting into the BK from beer 1, I empty the MLT, refill with strike water/leftover water from my HLT (which I always overfill, to help get strike up to temp quicker). Refill the HLT again, and get both burners going until I am up to temp again. I try to use all of my downtime efficiently.

Back