Trying to cook up a stout recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I'm taking influence from a bunch of recipes and putting them together based upon what I think I'd like. I'm not entirely well versed on ratios and such at this point, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've run it through an online calculator to refine it to the point it's at now, but am not sure how to determine the starting wort volume, etc, which has a big impact on the outputs...

This is for a stout.

7# Pilsen DME (Briess, 43 ppg)
3/4 lb Chocolate Malt
3/4 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb 60L Crystal

1oz Cascade whole/leaf (60 min)
1oz Williamette whole/leaf (15 min)

Yeast = While Labs Burton Ale Yeast WLP023
Attenuation 69%-75% (I'd used 70% attenuation in my calculations)

EDIT: Did a little flipping around. Now 1oz Cascade at 60 and 1oz Williamette at 15, as per Yuri.

I should note that I do like hops and hops aroma (the smell of 90 minute is ethereal), but I don't know that an abundance of hops would be welcome or appropriate in a stout -- hence the reduction to 1oz @ 60 and 1oz @ 15. Don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the hops are probably where I'd need the most advice, as the grain bill seems pretty solid, from what I can tell.

Using finishing hops (as you have), WILL make it out of style. However, you shouldn't let that stop you. If you want a stout with hop flavor and aroma, I say go for it!

Recipe looks solid to me.

Did a little flipping around. My college days tell me that seedless is better, so I changed the Fuggles to Williamette. Now 1oz Cascade at 60 and 1oz Williamette at 15, as per Yuri. Approaching kosher?

I should note that I do like hops and hops aroma (the smell of 90 minute is ethereal), but I don't know that an abundance of hops would be welcome or appropriate in a stout -- hence the reduction to 1oz @ 60 and 1oz @ 15. Don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong.

A well-made Dry (Irish) Stout has little to no hops flavor or aroma, though there is a solid hops bitterness which melds seamlessly with bitterness from the roasted barley.

American Stout can have classic American hops flavors - from the "C" hops, mainly - though I recommend restraint. If the roasted-grain flavors are overwhelmed by the hops, I just don't care for it. Plus, that'd be out of BJCP style, if you care about that sort of thing.

I use two full ounces of Willamette (~4%AA) as a first-wort-hops addition in my American Stout. I don't make any other additions. Your recipe is only slightly different than the one in my drop-down. Great minds think alike. ;)

Bob

Latest posts

Back