Trying to clone Beer Here Nordic Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uberg33k

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you've ever had this, but it's really fantastic. I thought I'd give cloning it a go, especially since there are some decent hints on the website as to how it's made.

beerhere.dk description of Nordic Rye said:
Brewed from Maris Otter pale ale malt, chokolatemalt, ryemalt,
oats and English and German hops as well as water.
30 IBU, OG: 1085, ABV: 8

So, I'm guessing for a 5 gal batch, it might be...

Maris Otter 7 lbs, 8 oz
Rye Malt 7 lbs, 4 oz
Chocolate Malt 1 lbs, 0 oz
Oats 1 lbs, 0 oz
Fuggles 2 oz @ 60 mins
Styrian Golding 2 oz @ 15 mins
Tettnang 1.5 oz @ 5 mins
White Labs French Ale Yeast

That yields OG 1.080, FG 1.024, IBU 30, Estimated ABV 7.99%

That seems fairly close, but after playing guessing games with a brew calculator for an hour, I can't tell if it seems right or if I just happen to randomly punch things in like a monkey writing Shakespeare. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Hey i am formulating a Nordic Style beer recipe or "Sahti" as they call it. How did yours come out? I have done a lot of research on traditional nordic brewing ingredients and procedures. Most breweries use locally grown and processed malt, pharmacy hops, smoked specialty malt, rye malt, bakers yeast, and most immportantly juniper twigs. Juniper twigs are the traditional brewing spice for that region for the last couple hundred years. I just wanted to know if your clone got close, so i can avoid going crazy tracking all of these specialty ingredients down because it may not be necessary!

Hey i am formulating a Nordic Style beer recipe or "Sahti" as they call it. How did yours come out? I have done a lot of research on traditional nordic brewing ingredients and procedures. Most breweries use locally grown and processed malt, pharmacy hops, smoked specialty malt, rye malt, bakers yeast, and most immportantly juniper twigs. Juniper twigs are the traditional brewing spice for that region for the last couple hundred years. I just wanted to know if your clone got close, so i can avoid going crazy tracking all of these specialty ingredients down because it may not be necessary!

Well, the beer I want to clone is a Rye Farmhouse ale and it doesn't have any juniper in it. I've asked all around and have gotten zero help on trying to figure this one out. All I know is it was formulated with consultation from Michael Jackson (the beer one) and it's delicious. I'm working on some other brewing projects for now, so this one is low in the pipeline, but if I figure it out, I'll update this thread.

I'm not familiar with the original beer you're trying to clone. Can you give me some tasting notes on it? Are you getting that Rye spice? How is the mouth feel? Slick? Does the beer have that greyish haze you can see from that % of rye? At first glance I would say that is too much Rye, but not knowing the beer it may be right on.

Have you cloned it yet? How did it turn out? I'm going to take a shot at it tomorrow, building on the grain bill from The Bruery's Rugsbrod (Beer Here's Andersen has said how much he likes it). I'm going to sub in English hops--either Fuggles or EKG (depending on how I feel in the morning).

Back