Trying to clean up left over hops, any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SublimeBW

Reaction score
My dad & I typically by kits and over time we have built up a decent amount of spare hops laying around. We don't have a whole lot of any given amount but was curious as to if we might be able to make something fun with what we have.

0.6 oz. Cascade
1 oz. Centennial
0.6 oz. Challenger
0.8 oz. Columbus
0.3 oz. German Perle
0.5 oz. German Tradition
0.2 oz. Hallertau
0.7 oz. Hersbrucker
1 oz. Northern Brewer

If it helps, we only do extract brews in 5 to 5.5 gallons and would probably prefer something with more of a summer time feel for it. Any suggestions?

You could also split into 2 batches. For one a German or American wheat: 6 lbs of wheat DME, bitter wtih the perle + tradition at 60, add the Hallertau + Hersbrucker at 5. German hefe yeast if you want the typical banana/clove character or a neutral yeast (chico strain, WY1010, kolsch yeast) for a cleaner American style.

The other batch maybe a pale ale? I'd probably use the three C hops late (flameout/dryhop) for an American style, and bitter with some northerbrewer or challenger, throwing whatever is left in with the mid or late additions. You'd probably want to plug it in to software to get the specs.

I would also do an IPA and use all the hops. You would need to use a recipe calculator to get the right amount of bitterness, flavor and aroma.

I am wondering though, if you are doing kits, why you have any hops left over? All the kits I have done used all the hops included....

Thanks for the suggestions! I am kind of leaning toward the idea of splitting it between the 2 brews (that was my original thought) so will run it by the Old Man.

Also:

I would also do an IPA and use all the hops. You would need to use a recipe calculator to get the right amount of bitterness, flavor and aroma.

I am wondering though, if you are doing kits, why you have any hops left over? All the kits I have done used all the hops included....

The kits we purchase are for 5 gallons and we often bump them up to 5.5 so we buy a little extra at times to make sure the IBUs stay on target.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am kind of leaning toward the idea of splitting it between the 2 brews (that was my original thought) so will run it by the Old Man.

Also:

The kits we purchase are for 5 gallons and we often bump them up to 5.5 so we buy a little extra at times to make sure the IBUs stay on target.

Makes sense.

Back