Trying to build a kegging system on a very tight budget.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
Hi I have recently started brewing more frequently because I have more time but also to save money because with that extra time my income has decreased. I am trying to start brewing enough that I don't have to buy beer anymore since my homebrew costs about half as much as store bought microbrew.

Since I am brewing so much more I have been thinking it would be worthwhile to invest in a kegging system. I already have a fridge in the garage that I could use to keep it cold and I figure to keep it simple I would just use a picnic tap and keep everything inside the fridge for now until I can afford to do a full keggerator conversion. The cheapest kit I can find is at www.learntobrew.com for $148.94. I am on a very limited budget at the moment and I would like to see if I could build my own kit for less. The most expensive part is the CO2 tank and regulator so I would love to find a cheaper option. I did find a 5lb tank and regulator on craigslist for $75 so maybe I should snap that up before it is gone unless someone knows where to get a cheaper tank and regulator. I did find an ebay store that has one handled reconditioned corny kegs for $26.95 after shipping. So all that is left is dispensing hardware learntobrew.com has a complete dispensing kit with 2 disconnects, tubing and a picnic faucet for $22.98 including shipping. So the total cost comes to 124.93 so that would save me about $24. I would still like to save more if possible so I would appreciate any advice and secret knowledge anyone has of where I can get any of the components for cheaper. Thanks.

Austin

$75 sounds expensive even for craigslist. Generally speaking if hes putting it up on craigslist he needs the cash or wants to get rid of it. Try emailing him (not indicating that you want it badly) and offer him $50.

Can you post a link for your source for the kegs. It sounds like a really good price

I offered him $65 but he would only take $75. Any ideas where I could find a tank and regulator for cheaper. I guess I could just keep checking ebay until I find a good deal but right now I can only get them new for about $95 for both. Unfortunately it looks like they sold out of those kegs.

Keep looking around for tanks and regulators look at welding supply shops and see if you can lease one really good price on the keg. At my LHBS keg connections are 6 a piece and 50 cents a ft for hose so 22 for the connections is fair really the tank and reg are the only place you can save any money.
On a side note if money is super tight (believe me I know the feeling been eating hamburger helper for the past month or so) the money might be better spent on ingredients so your supply won't run out. And have to have beerless nights bottling isn't all that bad. Only having one keg limits your options too less variety.

you could try using a paintball tank, but the advantage of using a bigger tank is that it is cheaper per pound to fill which will save you money in the long run. IMHO I would save up for a dual regulator system and two kegs.

I have gone to my local welding gas supply house and purchased older (certified tanks) and gotten some great pricing. I have 2 - 20# tanks I picked up for less than $60.00 each and that was filled with gas (1 with beer gas). When the tanks go out of date, the suplier will replace the tank at no charge (unfilled of course). A regulator of course is something you should be looking to purchase new (IMO). You can of course find them used at better than new prices on e-bay/craigslist.

Salute! :mug:

When I got into kegging I found that after I bought the tank I would have to get it inspected before filled. Even new tanks have to be inspected and tested before filling. After I found that out I went directly to the company that fills them and bought their 10# tank already inspected and filled for 65 bucks.

When I got into kegging I found that after I bought the tank I would have to get it inspected before filled. Even new tanks have to be inspected and tested before filling. After I found that out I went directly to the company that fills them and bought their 10# tank already inspected and filled for 65 bucks.

After that it was picnic taps and 3 used cornys and i was off.

Yeah unless you find a better deal on craigslist. Or even better somebodies old setup. I don't think you're going to be able to beat 125. My advice. If you are about saving money, then don't get into kegging. It will only continuously add up. You'll need more then one corny keg, a fridge to keep everything cold, fills of the co2 tank... If money is so tight that $20 is so much of an issue then maybe you should just stick with bottling.

The local welding supply 5# tanks were $80 and $80 for their cheapest regulator but I didn't ask if they had any used tanks so maybe I should to that. I guess I should be careful buying the tank from craigslist to make sure I don't have to get it inspected.

Back