Trying to brew an Allagash Sixteen Counties clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
Just tried this year's version and man oh man is it freakin delicious. Fortunately they put the details on their website:

Grains: Maine Malt House 2-Row Malted Barley, Blue Ox Malthouse 2-Row Malted Barley, Maine Grains Raw Wheat, Aurora Mills & Farm Oats
Hops: Jarrylo, Centennial, Local Aroostook Hops for bittering
Yeast: House
Description: Sixteen Counties has an amber hue with notes of honey, tropical hops, citrus, and a hint of cereal grain. The beer’s malt-forward flavor is meant to showcase the next generation of quality farming in Maine.

So some questions:

1)It sounds like a backbone of mostly American 2-row, but what of the wheat and oats? What is 'raw wheat', is that just unmalted wheat?
2)assuming a 5 gal brew, what % should I target for my wheat and oats? The beer is a nice golden color with a definitive haze that makes it translucent (where you can see the outline of your fingers thru it, but no detail thereof). The oats I'm assuming are mostly for mouthfeel?
3)Hops - I'll use something else for bittering, and I have Centennial on hand and I've used it before so I know what it tastes like but what about these Jarrylo hops? It says it has spice and banana to it but I'm wondering how much to add and when? To me it seems like most of them should be late additions.

hopefully you've tried this beer or can offer some advice, thanks!

Are you going to try to source the same malt they used. That might be the hardest part.

Blue OX is available: https://centralstreetfarmhouse.com/products/2-row-pale-malt-blue-ox-malt

I did not find the others.

Yes, raw wheat is just unmalted wheat. I use it in my Troegs Blizzard of hops clone. I would use about 2 pounds in a 5 gallon batch.

Having never had Sixteen Counties, I'm not going to be much help with the rest of the recipe. I am interested to see where this goes.

Are you going to try to source the same malt they used. That might be the hardest part.

Blue OX is available: https://centralstreetfarmhouse.com/products/2-row-pale-malt-blue-ox-malt

I did not find the others.

Yes, raw wheat is just unmalted wheat. I use it in my Troegs Blizzard of hops clone. I would use about 2 pounds in a 5 gallon batch.

Having never had Sixteen Counties, I'm not going to be much help with the rest of the recipe. I am interested to see where this goes.

Thanks for the info man, appreciated!

I think for my first attempt I'll just roll with standard American 2-row and see how close that gets me. My understanding is that their philosophy is to support local farmers so a lot of their malt is sourced locally, which is cool but might be a little overkill for this. That's interesting that they sell the Blue Ox malt though, depending on how this current attempt works out I might try that in a future iteration.

For the oats I'm using Simpsons Golden Naked Oats which as I learned on a separate thread on these forums "Use at a rate of 4-15% of the total grist to deliver a deep golden hue with light caramel flavors as well as a creamy, satin finish" which was about what I was guessing (1 lb basically = 7-10% range)

1 pound of oats is probably right. The only time I use more than a pound is when I'm brewing a wit of some kind.

It's getting easier to locate malt from small malt houses. But it's still kind of a challenge. You are right in using standard 2-row. The difference is going to be minor.

You're welcome. Keep us posted.

Back