Truly a DRMM post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you know that I usually work very part-time, in my home, for a hospital program that I run. Well, since I've been at the hospital longer than some of the RNs have been alive, I'm sort of a jack-of-all-trades. I was a paramedic for many years, then became a respiratory therapist. After a few years of nights, weekends, call, and hurting my back, I went into office work.

So far, I've been: Pharmacy Technician, Paramedic, Respiratory Therapist, Ward Clerk, Data entry clerk, Registration clerk, lab assistant, Physician Clinics Office Manager, admitting clerk, biller, a greeter, an ER clerk, etc. Those are the ones I can think of at the moment. Now, keep in mind that I don't just flitter from job to job- many of the skills overlap. A paramedic can easily work in the pharmacy- just a little certification via testing and it's easy to pass.

For the last 5-6 years, I've been managing our Lifeline program. I manage the program, including the office work. So, when two office workers from our Home Care office both took long-term maternity leaves, I applied to fill in full-time as the office manager until they come back. I got an offer to do it permanently, but turned it down. I'm retiring soon, and not taking on more!

But here is the point (and I do have one!): working interferes greatly with my drinking. This occurred to me tonight during dinner, when we opened a too-young but wonderful bottle of tannot/merlot. I got a nice pleasant buzz from the wine, and then the after dinner drink, and the after-after-dinner beer. That's what's been missing since I went back full-time! The nice evening buzz. It's not fun to drink too much and then have to go to bed early and get up tomorrow. It's WAY more fun to get your buzz on, post nonsense on HBT, and talk to my "imaginary friends".

So, in short: Working is completely overrated. Drinking on weeknights is underrated. Life is good.

I hear you. Work is overrated and if I could find a way to maintain my standard of living without it, I'd be there.

Some people say that even if they were rich, they would still be bored and have to have a job. If I were loaded, In could find plenty of things to occupy myself and still be active without having to answer to anyone except myself and SWMBO of course.

100% agreed, Yooper. Especially with the weather getting nicer everyday now.

I have to work nights right now so I get my buzz going around 1:30 and fall asleep around 3:30-4, but for the Summer Quarter my hours are changing to 11-7pm. I must say that that is the perfect schedule for drinking on weeknights!

:mug:

yes - working will definitley cramp my beer sampling soon.
from mid april till the end of november i work 7:30 am to at least 6pm weekdays,and till 2 pm saturdays and then am on call to 9 pm every night except sunday.
sundays are soon to be my only beer days.

So, in short: Working is completely overrated. Drinking on weeknights is underrated. Life is good.

+1. :mug: I'm about to pick up some part time work for the station down the road, they need medics. Overtime's been pretty hard to come by at work. :mad:

I'm totally on board with the sentiment of this thread.

I aspire to be a kept man but SWMBO has certain requirements of me. Like gainful employment.

Not certain which is worse: working or no money. Another 29 months and I can tap the 401K.

Beer is good, but my body is cutting me off at 2 pints. My shoulders and arms start hurting and if I go to sleep buzzed, I get reflux.

Not certain which is worse: working or no money. Another 29 months and I can tap the 401K.

Beer is good, but my body is cutting me off at 2 pints. My shoulders and arms start hurting and if I go to sleep buzzed, I get reflux.

I can always count on you to bring me back to reality!

I looked in the mirror today (beyond the daily super quick morning combing my hair routine) and thought "Wow- do I look old!" Then I remembered- um, yeah. I'm about middle aged- of course I look old. Duh!

Trip to Adult Camp in Mesa AZ to visit inlaws really drove home the beauty of not working.

I so want to retire now and go live in a nice warm climate and sip beer when I want, play tennis, golf and swim outside in winter.

Alas, I am a social services type and will not be rolling in the dough. Retirement for me will be at 62 unless they move the age even further. That means almost 20 years till a daily buzz.

Getting buzzed now thought. TY Yooper for the Dead Guy clone. Really tasty with both US05 and WLP001. Gotta bottle some of this to share later. Maybe...

hot chick cutting my hair other day...
me: "ahem, could you just zip across the ears a bit please?"
hot chick: " Oh yeah, the things you need when you get old eh?"
me: "........"

I am just trying to figure out how HBT came up with the similiar thread for this: