True Fridge temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plepper

Reaction score
I'm in the process of converting a True 2 door fridge into a kegerator. Right now the warmest it can get it to stabilize at is 34.5 degrees, I talked with the manufacture and they weren't exactly helpful. I don't think they understood what I was trying to accomplish. I'd like to maintain 38F. The unit is a restaurant type commercial unit 115v F.L. amps 10, with a 1/2 hp motor. I think its too big of a load for my inkbird 308 controller. Anyone know if a Ranco or Johnson controller would work? I'm open to any suggestion as I really want to use the reefer it has tons of room for kegs, bottles, and I could also use it to cold crash.

IMO, 34.5 sounds about perfect :mug:

Yah, suspect the STC1000 would be a little too light for the job. If the Ranco or Johnson can't handle it , the Raspberry Pi based strangebrew controller (which uses high-current solid state relays) should be able to handle the job.

I have a smaller under counter commercial fridge (silver king) I use a Ranco controller. Mine was easy. I took off the back panel inside the fridge and bypassed the thermostat..Been working like a champ for years.
I overrode the thermostat because the fridge wasn't getting cold enough. Your having the opposite issue. To be honest if your fridge is maintaining 35 deg I wouldn't touch a thing. The towers will be warmer and the 35 deg beer will most likely be perfect....storing beer bottles at 35 deg is only 3 deg under "perfect" serving temp. After you crack one open and take the first sip youll be at 38 deg.

I would run a few kegs to see what you think before messing with it. Overriding the thermostat has nothing to do with "the build" and can be done at a later date

I'm in the process of converting a True 2 door fridge into a kegerator. Right now the warmest it can get it to stabilize at is 34.5 degrees, I talked with the manufacture and they weren't exactly helpful. I don't think they understood what I was trying to accomplish. I'd like to maintain 38F. The unit is a restaurant type commercial unit 115v F.L. amps 10, with a 1/2 hp motor. I think its too big of a load for my inkbird 308 controller. Anyone know if a Ranco or Johnson controller would work? I'm open to any suggestion as I really want to use the reefer it has tons of room for kegs, bottles, and I could also use it to cold crash.

If your just using it at a constant temp , it's relatively easy to do. The true fridges come with an adjustment for altitude. That will override the temps a bit and let you run it warmer than its design temp. I've got one true unit that I've used for years as a kegerator using this method.

I have a second unit that I run as a fermentation chamber. I use a ranco duel stage controller on that fridge. It's got a high enough amp rating to run the unit. I run the probe into a thermowell on a conical. I use a small ceramic heater to warm the unit. Works great!

Page 16 of this PDF will explain the process. You can find your model and confirm that's an option for you.

Cheers
https://prodtruestorage.blob.core.windows.net/installationmanuals/GDM/GDM_ENGLISH.pdf

Thanks! I've seen the PDF in fact I had it up on my computer when I talked to the support people at True. I'm happy to learn the altitude adjustment will work I thought it would but it's great to get your feedback. By the way I'm in the process of setting up two under counter fridges for fermentation chambers, they have way less space but I'll have dual chambers for different temps. I'll use some of the space in the kegerator for cold crashing.

The nice thing about the true units is you can find all the coils and compressor part easily on the back top and bottom of the unit. The sides and door are just insulation, so you can drill through with a hole saw and run gas in and beer out lines with confidence.

Good luck with the units. They are pretty rock solid. I have six at work and they are still awesome after six years. Just remember to clean the coils at the bottom every 4-6 months. I vacuum them then blow some compressed air from the back to the front of the unit. Vacuum first or you'll just blow crap all over the place.

Back