True Brew Oaked Imperial Stout Modification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPicardo

Reaction score
I've had a True Brew Oaked Imperial Stout in primary for 2 weeks.

INGREDIENT LIST
* Hopped Dark Malt Extract (1 can)
* Unhopped Dark Malt Extract (1 can)
* Light Dried Malt Extract (1 lb)
* Dark Dried Malt Extract (1 lb)
* Dark Crystal Grain Malt (.25 lb)
* Roasted Barley Grain (.25 lb)
* Chocolate Grain Malt (.5 lb)
* Grain Steeping Bag
* Nugget Hop Pellets (1 oz)
* Fermentis US-05 Ale Yeast (1 pack)
* Heavy Toast Oak Powder (3 oz)
* Priming Sugar (5 oz)

I'd like to slightly modify this recipe and add some coffee/chocolate. I'm thinking about moving this batch to secondary and adding cocoa powder and coffee beans to secondary. Does anybody have a suggestion as to how I should go about doing this?

I like to use cocoa powder by mixing it with some hot water to form a paste. This seems to give a better flavor, and makes it much easier to mix into the beer. ~1 oz per gallon for 2 weeks is what I do for a moderate chocolate flavor.

For coffee I've had the best results add whoe or cracked beans to secondary for 12-24 hours right before bottling. .5-1 oz of crack, 1.5-2 oz of whole beans is about right for a medium amount of coffee flavor/aroma.

3 oz of heavy toast oak powder doesn't sound like a great addition. I've had good results with oak cubes, the lower surface area allows for a slower oak flavor infusion (easier to taste and pull before it gets overpowering). If you want to use it I would cut back, start with 1 oz and add more if it needs it.

Good luck.

I like to use cocoa powder by mixing it with some hot water to form a paste. This seems to give a better flavor, and makes it much easier to mix into the beer. ~1 oz per gallon for 2 weeks is what I do for a moderate chocolate flavor.

For coffee I've had the best results add whoe or cracked beans to secondary for 12-24 hours right before bottling. .5-1 oz of crack, 1.5-2 oz of whole beans is about right for a medium amount of coffee flavor/aroma.

3 oz of heavy toast oak powder doesn't sound like a great addition. I've had good results with oak cubes, the lower surface area allows for a slower oak flavor infusion (easier to taste and pull before it gets overpowering). If you want to use it I would cut back, start with 1 oz and add more if it needs it.

Good luck.

Crap. I already added the Oak Powder to the Primary. I think I only added about 1.5 ounces total though. So, I should add 5 ounces cocoa powder to the secondary, and then a day or so before bottling add the coffee beans?

Crap. I already added the Oak Powder to the Primary. I think I only added about 1.5 ounces total though. So, I should add 5 ounces cocoa powder to the secondary, and then a day or so before bottling add the coffee beans?

Glad you held back, 1.5 oz will probably be fine in such a big/complex beer. Your plan for coffee/chocolate sounds fine. I like medium roast coffee, but you certainly a darker/lighter roast would be fine depending on what you are going for (fresher is obviously a better bet as well). Good luck.

Glad you held back, 1.5 oz will probably be fine in such a big/complex beer. Your plan for coffee/chocolate sounds fine. I like medium roast coffee, but you certainly a darker/lighter roast would be fine depending on what you are going for (fresher is obviously a better bet as well). Good luck.

Do I need to do anything to make sure that I don't introduce bacteria into the secondary via the cocoa powder / coffee?

The hot water mixed in the the cocoa will help. I've never done anything with the coffee, but there certainly is "some" risk involved. A quick dip in Star-San would be one option. You could also used brewed coffee, but I don't think the character works as well in beer.

I was curious how this turned out. I posted a similar question earlier today and came across your thread. I was interested in working a Stout recipe that is a bit more chocolately and was considering the True Brew Oaked Imperial Stout. I appreciate your feedback.

Primary 1: True Brew Pale Ale
Primary 2: TBD

:mug:

Back