True Brew Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattne421

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm fairly new with only one brew under my belt. my first brew i did an extract brew without a kit and it all went smoothly. Recently i have received the true brew amber ale kit and it came with one ounce of hops, a can of hopped lme and two pounds of dme. now the instructions seem fairly vague but what isn't vague is that they only call to boil for a half hour. i know usually brews take roughly an hour. is this shortened brew time because of the hopped lme? also they don't give a hop time on the ounce of hops they provided. any suggestions on this? if anyone has done this kit before and could provide any useful information it would be greatly appreciated.

I recently brewed that same kit as my first batch. Afterwards people on here told me I should have not boiled the lme since it was prehopped. I know the instructions say to, but they were wrong about a few things. Just add the lme when you flame out or it will mess the hop profile up a little it.

I think the instructions also to tell to bottle in a week or somewhere close to that. As you will see all over these forums, you should wait closer to 3 weeks, or when your gravity remains constant for 2-3 days, and then another 3 weeks or so in the bottles.

I ended up boiling my wort for longer than half an hour because I was waiting for the "foam up" I read about everywhere, and then was going to start my 30 minutes with hops added afterwards. It never happened, so I was waiting for a while and being very cautious.

Although I'm new at this too, I hope this helps considering I was in your same situation.

thanks yeah i instantly started questioning the instructions validity once i saw bottle after a week. but i will add the hopped lme when i flame out. that seems to make a little bit more sense.

Latest posts

Back