Trub ring on kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarong

Reaction score
Every time I brew I get a ring of trub around the protrusion on top of my kettle. Do I just leave it be or knock it into the batch. Attached is a picture of my kettle so you can see the protrusion unfortunately I don't have a picture with the trub ring. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400808639.104806.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

what is your pot made from?

I use barkeepers friend to clean it off, if that's what you are asking.

When the boil is going on and I add my hops I do what I can to keep the hop debris of the kettle and in the wort by knocking it back down. I do this just to make sure the hops are used as effectively as possible.

When my boil ends and I've pitched yeast I use the hop bag and leftover chilling water to scrub the inside of my kettle. It takes the foam ring you're describing off without removing the oxidation of aluminum.

During the boil, and I think this was more your question, I do as Dsorenson does and try to knock it back. I've found I only get good, lasting foam at hot break. If I add hops during that time they all stick to the edge (I use pellets) and don't spend much time in the wort. After letting the hot break fall back into the boil I'll do my 60 minute addition and start the boil timer. It probably doesn't matter much what you do with it, though someone probably has some data about the hot break being good for head retention or yeast nutrient or something. I dunno, just speculating. Kyle

In my experiences,a good hot & cold break makes for clearer beer later. & that protrusion is for the steamer tray to sit on when steaming veggies,sea food,etc. My SS kettle has that near the bottom for the same purpose.:mug:

I'll use my spoon to lift the wort and rinse hop ring back into the boil. I don't think it is necessary to worry about doing it immediately or constantly. The hop oils are still being isomerized by the steam.
For the flavoring hops I feel better if they are in the boiling wort the full amount of time. This makes me feel better, but still may not make a difference in how the final product tastes.

I also rinse the hop ring stuff back into the boil. i want all I can get outta the pellets. Doesn't seem to have any noticeable negative effects.

Back