Trub question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is never too much trub - unless it is full of hops, then the degradation could impact the final product. If the trub is simply fats and proteins it has no impact.

I decided to leave it alone. This morning it was more settled but still a bit thick. My last three brews were like that.

I'm of two minds on this.

First, someone above cited the Brulosophy Xbeeriment which correlates with my unscientific experiences. So adding the additional trub does not, IMHO, affect the ending quality.

On the other hand, additional trub in the fermentor takes up space which could be clearer beer fermenting. So I plan on leaving about a liter of trub & wort in my kettle to get more recoverable beer fermenting in my carboy.

I used to run everything through a strainer, but now I just rack from my kettle to my primary and let whatever gets sucked up, be. There ends up being a lot of trub but it usually compacts pretty well after fermentation kick in and the yeast flocs. And this have been fine for everything I have brewed since making this change. However, my last beer I kegged was an IPA and tastes like I let it dry hop for too long, ie. that grassy flavor. I dry hopped it in the secondary but only had those hops in there for 4 days before cold crashing so I doubt that actually did it. I did not transfer to secondary as early as I would have liked so I am assuming that the flavor is actually from sitting on my wirlpool hops for a good 2 weeks. I have a Red IPA that I am going to rack to secondary, tonight. I will check to see if I taste that grassy hop flavor with this one.

So, long story short, sitting on large quantities of hops for a long time may be the only real concern.

If you have the space in your fridge, try cold crashing 24 hours before bottling next time. Really compacts the trub down and makes it that much easier!

I usually do as the last two batches I used gelatin and held at close to 35 degrees for three days before bottling.

I used to run everything through a strainer, but now I just rack from my kettle to my primary and let whatever gets sucked up, be. There ends up being a lot of trub but it usually compacts pretty well after fermentation kick in and the yeast flocs. And this have been fine for everything I have brewed since making this change. However, my last beer I kegged was an IPA and tastes like I let it dry hop for too long, ie. that grassy flavor. I dry hopped it in the secondary but only had those hops in there for 4 days before cold crashing so I doubt that actually did it. I did not transfer to secondary as early as I would have liked so I am assuming that the flavor is actually from sitting on my wirlpool hops for a good 2 weeks. I have a Red IPA that I am going to rack to secondary, tonight. I will check to see if I taste that grassy hop flavor with this one.

So, long story short, sitting on large quantities of hops for a long time may be the only real concern.

I've never racked to a secondary. I leave everything in primary for three weeks, take a gravity reading then bottle.
I brewed a Russian River 2 Hill clone and let the dry hops sit for 7 days. this is the longest I've let it go. I bottled and placed on a heating pad for three days and popped the top on one last night. It was good but still needs a few more days to condition. I've been using about .4-.5 oz per gallon to dry hop and that's not enough. I have since upped to .75-1 oz per gallon with better results.
I brewed a Zombie Dust clone Saturday and did my first whirlpool. The issue I had was the temps dropped on me too fast and actually didn't get my whirlpool amt in until the temps were at 165 (was aiming for 175-180). Let them sit for 30 min then cooled and racked.
Next time I need to pay closer attention to the temps especially if it's cold like it was Saturday.

I've never racked to a secondary. I leave everything in primary for three weeks, take a gravity reading then bottle.
I brewed a Russian River 2 Hill clone and let the dry hops sit for 7 days. this is the longest I've let it go. I bottled and placed on a heating pad for three days and popped the top on one last night. It was good but still needs a few more days to condition. I've been using about .4-.5 oz per gallon to dry hop and that's not enough. I have since upped to .75-1 oz per gallon with better results.
I brewed a Zombie Dust clone Saturday and did my first whirlpool. The issue I had was the temps dropped on me too fast and actually didn't get my whirlpool amt in until the temps were at 165 (was aiming for 175-180). Let them sit for 30 min then cooled and racked.
Next time I need to pay closer attention to the temps especially if it's cold like it was Saturday.

Do you ever get that grassy flavor? I think some people actually like it, but I want to avoid it.

Do you ever get that grassy flavor? I think some people actually like it, but I want to avoid it.

I have not experienced it yet and I too want to avoid it. I usually only dry hop for 4-5 days but this time I let it go as I lost track of time.

I usually do as the last two batches I used gelatin and held at close to 35 degrees for three days before bottling.

Nice! Haven't tried gelatin yet myself, but it's definitely on my list for this year. Especially with wanting to brew some light pilsners and a couple lagers, I'd love them to be nice and sparkling!

Back