trub question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAS0311USMC

Reaction score
despite my best efforts of stirring and leaving wort behind, I am still getting trub in just about every bottle of beer. I was hoping someone would have an inexpensive way to keep less from getting into the bottles. I use the 5 gallon brewing setup by brewers best. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance :mug:

You will always have some trub in your bottles if you are bottle conditioning. This is yeast falling out of suspension once they have eaten the priming sugars. Plus, additional clearing happens in the bottle. The only way to get clear beer in the bottle would be to keg, filter or use gelatin, then use a counter pressure bottle filler to fill your bottles.

You will always have some trub in your bottles if you are bottle conditioning. This is yeast falling out of suspension once they have eaten the priming sugars. Plus, additional clearing happens in the bottle. The only way to get clear beer in the bottle would be to keg, filter or use gelatin, then use a counter pressure bottle filler to fill your bottles.

True. But the amount of sediment in a bottle can be very little. There are a couple of ways to have very little sediment in the bottle. One, use a flocculant yeast. S04 or nottingham are good for dry yeast. They form a very compact and tight yeast cake that doesn't stir up, so the little bit of yeast in the bottle stays put pretty well. Two, don't bottle a beer before it's clear. It will clear in the bottle, causing more sediment. Wait about 3-4 weeks before bottling any beer. Three, chill the beer (without moving it) a couple of days before you drink it. That will encourage the yeast in the bottle to fall out and stay put. Pour into the glass in one motion, leaving the last 1/4" in the bottle. Don't pour, wait, repour, etc, as that will stir up the sediment from the bottom. Make sure the glass is big enough to hold the entire beer, and pour down the side of the beer with the bottle at an angle so that the yeast sediment stays pout.

If you've ever had a Sierra Nevada pale ale, that's a bottle conditioned beer. If you stir it up, it's a bit cloudy. But if you let it sit as I described, and pour carefully, you'll see the yeast left on the bottom.

solid answers. (Im hoping to get a keg system from the lady in a couple of weeks .:ban:) There is quite a bit in there. Doesn't bother me just would like a little less. As for sierra Nevada, I never noticed it before. Could you get a yeast starter out of sierra Nevada? I read somewhere that you can get a yeast starter off some commercial beers by reactivating the yeast. Or perhaps I misread.

solid answers. (Im hoping to get a keg system from the lady in a couple of weeks .:ban:) There is quite a bit in there. Doesn't bother me just would like a little less. As for sierra Nevada, I never noticed it before. Could you get a yeast starter out of sierra Nevada? I read somewhere that you can get a yeast starter off some commercial beers by reactivating the yeast. Or perhaps I misread.

You will need to step up the volume, but it can be done. The best way would be to culture the yeast on a petri dish, then start stepping up until you had a reasonable volume of yeast cells.

If you wanted to use the yeast that Sierra does, you would be better off simply purchasing S-05, 1056 or 001 since it is the same strain.

The folks that go through all the trouble of cultivating yeast from a commerically bottle conditioned beer do it b/c that particular yeast strain is not readily available whereas Chico (the strain Sierra uses) is available as the incarnations listed above.

SN filters the yeast out of there beer and reintroduces a very precise amount back into it at bottling time. Most home brewers have a lot more yeast left in their beer at bottling time than needed and they end up seeing it at the bottom of their bottles when it falls out of solution.

Yooper suggests a way to combat this a bit, but you're still going to bottle more than is needed and end up with a visible layer.

Once you start kegging, that all goes away.

Sierra Nevada. I also filter my strong golden ales and then bottle condition with champagne yeast. There is only a light sliff of yeast in the bottom.

You can keg to get rid of the yeast at the bottom of the bottle, or you can simply follow the excellent advice given by Yooper earlier in this thread. I only do bottles, and I do these things, and have no yeast visible in my poured beer. It's just not that difficult, once you establish the procedures and habits required.

Latest posts

Back