Trub bread/sick dog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesemicullen

Reaction score
This is another hops/dogs warning post.

I bottled a batch a couple of weeks ago and my girlfriend was interested in keeping the trub in an attempt to bake bread from it. She looked online at several recipes and did her thing. The bread came out smelling great, but had a very bitter flavor - I'm sure we'll play around with that in the future.

The point - her dog got a hold of one of the loaves and downed it. Later that day, he started puking and just had a general sense of malaise about him. I decided to do some intenetting and ran across a post here about dogs and hop toxicity and since I put the hops in my batch and let them settle in the trub, we immediately became very worried about the dog.

Fortunately, throwing up and being a bit down were the only symptoms and he got better after a few hours. It was bit scary.

This just serves as a reminder about where our hops wind up.

Yuck! I have heard of using spent grain in bread, but never the trub from fermentation. Sounds disgusting to me. No wonder the dog got sick.

Good warning about keeping your pets safe from the hops.

It's common to use beer &/or spent grains in bread...even the left over yeast. But leave the trub out. That's just yeast poop,etc.:drunk:

Yeah, you might want to rinse the yeast before using it for bread to help get rid of the bitter flavor. Maybe the dog just got sick from eating a LOAF of bread, but better safe than sorry.

Yeah not only that but the trub has all the yeast and break material in it:cross:. My golden ret. and my rabbit like the spent mash grains though. Although my dog prefers a nice Pale Ale Mash to stouts, or Pils:D

The yeast can grow in a dogs GI system, if the bread is not cooked enough.

fat-dog.jpg

I just about died laughing at that pic.

I agree about trub bread (blech). I make spent grain bread and it is wonderful!

+1 on the Doggie Blow off.
My Lab Rosie ate 2 loaves of uncooked bread off the stovetop
The still rising bread in her belly made her very uncomfortable.
My Old Man was a Vet and off we went to the Animal Hospital.
Tube down the front and tube down the rear!
"What a wonderful smell we discovered"
Dog had rancid farts for weeks, so much for snatching food off the counter for her.

Ive used spent grain in cookies,,,, the pups love um, no ill effects at all.

Trub? umm, no, for all the reasons posted above that makes no sense, nor have I ever seen it suggested..... think someone got some recipe ingredients mixed up...

Back