Trub at the bottom of my brew pot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkench

Reaction score
When draining off wort from my Braumeister into the FV, I usually stop as the bottom gunk starts to get sucked in with it. I cringe though every time as there is often an extra pint or 2 of wort in there that could become precious beer.
What do you guys do? I have been thinking about straining it somehow but was wondering if it is best just to leave it.

When draining off wort from my Braumeister into the FV, I usually stop as the bottom gunk starts to get sucked in with it. I cringe though every time as there is often an extra pint or 2 of wort in there that could become precious beer.
What do you guys do? I have been thinking about straining it somehow but was wondering if it is best just to leave it.

I've read on this forum and elsewhere that a little bit of trub in the fermenter is a good thing, provides some necessery elements to the yeast for fermentation. Taking more won't cause any problems, as far as I know, other than leaving you with more gunk to clean out of your fermenter. Personally, I whirlpool and then leave most of the trub behind; I just don't want to deal with cleaning it out of the fermenter later. If you're worried about those last 2 pints of beer you're leaving behind, go ahead and put it all in the primary and let it settle. I don't believe you'll be creating any problems, other than a little more cleanup.

I dump everything into the fermenter. That last (pint, quart, half gallon) of beer is mine! I worked for it, I want to drink it, not throw it our.

Everything from the pot going into the fermenter for me. Period. Nobody has ever told me otherwise and I have never had bad results because of it

If you want every last bit without any trub going into the fermentor just use a fine metal strainer. I have done this plenty of times with great results. But like the other guys said, a little trub won't hurt anything except maybe your clarity.

I'm with those who simply dump it all in. Leave it in the fermenter for three or four weeks and it will all settle down and compact itself at the bottom; carefully siphon it out and all is well.

On my E-BIAB system, I plan for a gallon of gunky wort/protein/grain mud to be left behind in the bottom of the kettle and in the pump/hoses/chiller. That way I have less to leave it behind later when I rack out of the fermenter. The harvested yeast is cleaner too. To each his own on this one.

I don't have any *science* to back it up, but my beers are cloudier when I try really hard to get those last few ounces. I know being cold in the keg ought to negate that, but . . .

Back