Trub and Fermenting losses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmeister13

Reaction score
I am trying to calculate out a recipe (on beersmith) and am in need of others experience with trub loss after boil and fermenter losses after dry hopping. I am brewing a large IPA with 8.2 oz of hops in the BK and 4.8 oz dry hops. The 8.5 is all pellets and the 4.8 is 3 oz leaf and 1.8 oz pellets.

How much should I estimate as my trub loss and fermenting losses for this brew?

A lot depends on where you draw your work from in the kettle. Do a test run and see how much water is left in the kettle after draining. Then allow roughly an1 gallon loss for each pound of hops .....just an estimate.

Thanks. I knew my dead space was about 16 oz, but had no clue how much I would lose with this many hops. Thanks again.

No problem. You can always do a larger boil and only draw off what ya need. May costa dollar extra but will take away the guess work. If a gallon is left, dump it or do a 1 gallon batch with some extra experimental additives!

Back