Troubleshooting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelTH

Reaction score
I just finished my ultra-budget eBiab build, thanks to helpful HBT users and theelectricbrewery.com.

I took it out for a test drive yesterday. The PID powered on, took accurate temp readings, and my contractor seemed to be hooked up properly since I heard the solid “click” from inside the housing. But the water never got warmer. The PID said that the heat output was at 100% constantly, instead of fluctuating between 95-100% like I've seen on online videos.

I’m trying to diagnose the problem, but don’t seem to have missed any wiring connections. I have three possible thoughts: (1) the SSR I bought online is junk and isn’t working, (2) the heating element isn’t fully connected properly, or (3) I’m using thin speaker wire from the PID to SSR that might not be carrying sufficient signal. Are any of these options consistent with my symptoms?

FYI: I’m using a 4500w element on 240v supply, with this SSR. [Description: 24V-380V 40A SSR-40 DA Solid State Relay Module 3-32v DC to AC]. I'm using a MyPIN TA4 PID.

Can you post the schematic for your design, as well as lots of pictures of you panel and wiring (full unit shots as well as close-ups of pretty much everything inside.)

Using fine wire from the PID to the SSR is perfectly acceptable. There are only a few milliamps of current in the control wires.
1 & 2 might be possibilities.

Once you get this working, you are going to have a problem with maintaining a reasonable boil vigor because the TA4 PID does not have a manual power setting mode, which is required for boil control. You should have used a TD4, which does have manual mode.

Brew on :mug:

Another question realative to trouble shooting: do you have a digital multi-meter?

Brew on :mug:

I don’t have a multimeter. I can’t upload pics till Friday, as I’m traveling for work but will do so.
And I only just realized the lack of manual mode on TA4. I bought it from a guy who gave up on his e system, not realizing it wasn’t ideal for my purposes. I read somewhere online that I’d I set it to 210, it’ll maintain a boil. We’ll see.

I will be switching the mypid PID to an EZboil soon, it's not ideal, I have to keep an eye on it constantly and it's a PITA

Welp, saw that I had the polarity wrong going from the PID to the SSR. Hopefully that'll take care of it. And hopefully I'll be able to manage a boil with this TA4. Probably time to start saving for the EZBoil.

Latest posts

Back