Trouble with gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwags23

Reaction score
I have a 3-tap kegerator setup and can't get any CO2 through one of the lines anymore. The other two gas lines are working just fine. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming your manifold isn't somehow busted,, For gas to travel through a pin lock or ball lock junction, the poppet in the gas post has to both be free enough to move down opening the path, while at the same time providing enough resistance to push the valve pin inside the disconnect up far enough to open that half of the valved path. Either your disconnect is missing its pin, or your poppet is stuck and can't be pushed down, or is missing altogether.

Both types comprise two separate valves that open eachother when properly engaged.

Try to isolate the problem, starting here.
Test the QD: Remove the QD from the keg and push in the QD's poppet with the back end of a nail-set or small screwdriver. Gas should come out.

Gas doesn't come out when I push in the QD poppet, but it does on the other 2 had lines. I have a 3-way manifold and all of them are open.
As was mentioned before, there's often a check valve inside the little shutoff valves on each of the manifold's channels. They can get stuck. Did you have any beer flow-back into that gas channel, perhaps?

Does that valve have a barb or a flare connector onto which the gas line attaches?
If it's a flare connector I would remove gas line from the valve and check that area. Maybe something got lodged in the opening.

If that's not it, check the little shut valve. The check valve is inside that, on the top side. But about impossible to service. But it can get cleaned out with soapy water and a little air or CO2 pressure.

@IslandLizard
Gas doesn't come out when I push in the QD poppet, but it does on the other 2 had lines. I have a 3-way manifold and all of them are open.
With the gas turned off, remove the QD. Then slowly open the gas back up to see if any CO2 comes through the line. If not, you know it's the manifold. Turn the gas off again and remove the gas line to the manifold. Open the shutoff on the manifold and slowly turn the gas back on. If you still don't get gas, turn the gas off again and loosen or remove the shutoff valve on the manifold. Slowly turn the gas on again. If you don't get CO2 this time, there a problem with the manifold body. If you do get CO2, you have a bad shutoff valve. If it's the body, I would break it down and clean it out. Then sanitize everything and reassemble it to see if you cleared the obstruction. If it's the shutoff valve, I would just order a replacement valve.

Back