trouble shoot new stand with pic's and video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-sip

Reaction score
ok folks so i need some assistance because ive trouble shot everything i could and now i think its time to replace parts.

recently I built this BIAB Stand

20140720_111439.jpg

i did my first brew on it last week and noticed it took a real long tome to get to temp during my boil and i couldn't quite get it to "roll"

looking at the pic you can see the pot sits directly on the stainless with no place for the heat to go

20140720_111447.jpg

so of course i assumed this was the problem as the heat was being deflected down. so today my solution was to lift the pot up a 1/2 inch and do a test to see if i could fix my boil and ramp up times.

20140731_174519.jpg

however it took just under 1 1/2 hours to get 7 gallons to 110*F and that was the best i could do without the lid on. if i covered, i could get a slight boil and my PID read 111*F

Note**PID is reading off a degree or so, so these numbers are as close as i could estimate with 3 thermometers and the PID.

this link is a video of what i have when uncovered

so all in all it wasn't the space for heat to travel upwards.

NOWWWWW im thinking burner and regulator issues.

this is the burner im running

http://www.agrisupply.com/burner-cast-low-presure-multi-hole-/p/40282/cn/5400001/

and here is the regulator

http://www.agrisupply.com/Low-Pressure-Regulator-Handwheel-Pol-And-Hose/p/36107/

perhaps the burner is to small or perhaps the regulator is broken...

my burner is sitting around 3 to 3 1/4 inches form the bottom of the pot and has what i would say is good flame

20140731_213823.jpg

20140731_213842.jpg

bottom line is this 15 gal pot with about 7galloons of water cant get to where i need it with this set up. im afraid i need a bigger burner or something but would hate to have to spend more money and disassemble . perhaps some of the experts can see something im missing.

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
I would do two things before upgrading to a bigger burner or high pressure regulator.

Mount a circular wind screen around the burner, to keep the heat focused at the bottom of the pot.

With the pot raised, wrap it with some cheap aluminum flashing with 1/2" air gap. See the "pot skirt" thread in my signature for more details.

Got a picture of the stand with the pot off it?

20140316_172235.jpg

this is a pic of the stand during the build (only one i have of it without a pot on it.)

as you guys can see the square supports actually double as a good wind screen. the top of the burner sits inside the 2" supports once i lifted the pot that 1/2 inch the heat ws only directing onto the pot, not reflecting out or down so i know thats not the issue. i think im just not getting that nice solid flame i should be.

ok folks,

although i did not get much help throughout this post (i do appreciate the help that was given though)

i managed to fix my problem and wanted to share just in case anyone else comes across this problem..

let me first say that although this issue has been discussed at length and the solution has been discussed at length the exact situation had no return throughout 3 days of searching.

the solution was to the Low pressure orifice. there are many threads that discuss drilling out high pressure orifices to convert them to low pressure., there are also many threads that discuss how drilling out low pressure orifices can help in fixing airflow issues and fellow flame.

However being that i had a low pressure orifice, a low pressure regulator, a good blue flame and a working system (sort of) i never thought about drilling it out. however after taking it apart 100 times i decided whats the worst that could happen if i have to replace a 4 dollar part. sooooo i drilled it out to 1/16 of an inch or .0625...

i am now please to announce that i got 8 gallons to a boil in 30 Min. although it was a good rolling boil i believe that this is about its limit. it rolls but i don't think it will get a 10 gal batch there.

the only slight issue is that in order to get a good clean flame i had to open the burner flow disk all the way and still had just slight yellow tips. which now lead me to think that this is all this burner can handle. if i drilled the orifice out any more i don't think i could get a clean flame.

bottom line is i can now brew in confidence :mug:

Your regulator is probably a "standard" low pressure <1 psi output. If you were to replace the regulator you have with a 0-5 psi version, you might be able to get more heat, and have much better fire control as well. And, if it doesn't work how you would like it to, return it for a full refund. There you go, win-win.

now wouldn't that be an issue since i automated, i thought it has to be 11"wc and .5 psi for the gas valves to work.

Back