Trouble connecting quick disconnects to posts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helloworld

Reaction score
I always have to really struggle to get my QD's on to the post of my keg. Any advice? Last time I had to put a 2x4 on top of the QD and tap it down with a hammer.

Theres a manual lock. You have to pull up on the outer ring near the base of the qd while you push on or pull off.

Put your thumb on the flat top and two first fingers strattong the ring around the base and pull up.

I usually find this is due to either gunk(old beer) in the QD mechanisms, or the push pins on the keg poppets are gunked up. A quick cleaning of the poppets and QD's usually cleans up this issue for me.
You can also put a little keg lube on the poppets to help as well.

Theres a manual lock. You have to pull up on the outer ring near the base of the qd while you push on or pull off.

Put your thumb on the flat top and two first fingers strattong the ring around the base and pull up.

Yep, I am doing that. It is still very difficult to push down.

First of all, above all else, make sure you're connecting them to the correct posts. The quick disconnects are NOT interchangeable. They look very similar, but they are definitely different. The nut at the base of the "gas in" post will have little notches cut into it. As for the QDs themselves, grey/white = gas, black = beverage.

That said, I find if I twist them a little bit while I'm connecting or disconnecting them, that makes them go on/come off a little more easily. You definitely should not be banging on them with a hammer. If you can't attach/remove them with your bare hands, you're doing it wrong.

I usually find this is due to either gunk(old beer) in the QD mechanisms, or the push pins on the keg poppets are gunked up. A quick cleaning of the poppets and QD's usually cleans up this issue for me.

This ^ . I usually just spray the QD with some StarSan and it pops right on.

If your QDs don't have the raised letters CMB on them you've got cheap knock-offs, their quality varies a lot. I had just one of those fall apart on me, and it was always a hassle to get that one on and off. Now I know why. All my others are CMB.

The last time I had trouble it was the first time I used a new keg, but I'll check the others.

question - are they that difficult to remove too? Cause if they are, i'd guess maybe your posts are mis-sized or misaligned

It's also possible that some of your keg posts may have been hit with something, causing a flat spot or dent in the top of the post. One of my kegs has a post like this and it's a struggle to get the QD on it.

Back