Tropical IPA suggestions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we seem to have quite a different understanding of "session beer" (I would see a session beer in between 3% and 4%), but a very well working recipe would be the following:

92% pale
8% 60L Crystal

Single infusion at about 66C for 60 min. Mashout at 76C for 10 minutes.

Lots of Galaxy and lots of Citra Hops up to 40 to 50 IBUs, focused on late additions and/or hopstand. Dry hop as well, or leave it out. Should end up in a very tropical beer :)

Yeast, anything clean, US05 and co!

Ha, well maybe more towards the 5%, but 3-4 is a bit low for us drunken brits!

I brewed this last week which was a tweaked recipe (not mine), yours is a much more simple grain bill so I'm looking forward to trying it. Simple is often best.

As you can see this was a little more complex I guess.

2ch5ad.jpg

Last edited:
Looks also good, athough I would have skipped the sugar in a beer like this. If I would want the attenuation to be higher, I would mash longer and lower instead of using sugar. Sugar is for me just something to help attenuation if every other possibility ahs already been used and with US 05 or similar, there shouldn't be a need for it.

I borrowed the grain bill from Sierra Nevadas Pale Ale, which they share on their homepage. I think keeping it as simple as possible is a good idea.

Latest posts

Back