Triple hops brewed? That's too strong for me....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wunderduck

Reaction score
I overheard my father in law and sister in law talking.

SIL: Dad, why did you get Miller lite in cans?
FIL: The bottles are triple hops brewed, thats too strong for me.
Me: All Miller lite is triple hops brewed.
FIL: The guy at the liquor store said it was different.
Me: ...

At least I know my Dogfish Head 60 clone Is safe from him. :-D

I love the slogans -

"Frost Brewed" - what its not boiled?
"Triple Hopped" - Aroma, Bittering & Dry? Three hop additions? Or three pellets of hops in a 1bbl batch?
"slow-brewed giving it an exceptionally smooth taste" - How can you slow brew a 60 minute rice beer?

here we go another BMC bashing thread....
i have a 12pk of Miller right next to my DFH 60.... i see nothing wrong with the stuff
just my .02

JoeBronco said:
I love the slogans -

"Triple Hopped" - Aroma, Bittering & Dry? Three hop additions? Or three pellets of hops in a 1bbl batch?
"slow-brewed giving it an exceptionally smooth taste" - How can you slow brew a 60 minute rice beer?

Come on. How can you not love this. Im fine if you like the beer. Just be willing to call BS on the marketing.

davis119 said:
i have a 12pk of Miller right next to my DFH 60.... i see nothing wrong with the stuff
just my .02

Here we go two more people saying "here we go, another BMC bashing thread". Why do people bother posting if the topic seems so played out to you? Clearly the OP wants to talk about it. What's the fun in reading old threads about a topic he/she wants to discuss?

davis119 said:
just my .02

Who's bashing? I saw a post about a conversation involving someone who knows nothing about beer and another talking about inane marketing.

I once had a bar tender tell me that a certain beer tasted gross because "I think they used hops"

I was adding the commercial line after reading the other post. They wouldn't be successful if people didn't buy it.

No one is bashing BMC... Just bashing outlandish adds. But you are correct in assuming that in less than 20 posts this will be all about how crappy there beer is.

My thought,

I chose to drink craft beer because i can afford it and it is what i like
I drink PBR to remember college and they make a good lager
We use BMC to fill our beer pong cups as we dont want to waste good beer

There is a time and a place for everything. This tread is not about the "Beer" but the adds and humor that go along with it...

Z7tEt.gif

Every time there is a thread like this.

Regardless of the product what does it say when you spend more of your budget on advertising then you do in the manufacturing of the product? A great product sells itself with little or no advertising.

Now thats funny...

Too strong? Ha! I'm not knocking Miller Lite (not my preferred tipple, but to each their own), but if that's too strong, what does he consider a beverage of proper strength?

Wunderduck said:

JoeBronco said:
I love the slogans -

PapsD said:
I once had a bar tender tell me that a certain beer tasted gross because "I think they used hops"

And that is exactly why this marketing works. Triple Hoops Brewed. Cold filtered. Ice brewed. Beechwood Aged. Tap the Rockies. Etc.

90% of beer drinkers have no clue on how beer is made or with what. So throw something out that sounds fancy and people will buy it.

Not bashing as I drink Miller Lite as my summer lawnmower beer.

It's not another BMC-bashing thread, it's another BMC-bashing-bashing thread! :fro:

Regardless of the product what does it say when you spend more of your budget on advertising then you do in the manufacturing of the product? A great product sells itself with little or no advertising.
Unfortunately, this is not generally true. In most cases, even a great product needs marketing to really take off. There are exceptions, but they're rare.

That's not to say that it's a dichotomy---ideally one would spend a large amount on marketing a solid product, but the truth is that there's limited economic benefit to producing the "best" beer. It just needs to be good enough that people don't stop drinking it. Spending any more on it than that is "irrational" because it harms the bottom line.

Fortunately, there are plenty of irrational brewers out there. These are the small breweries that "irrationally" value non-economic factors like more traditional brewing practices, more flavorful ingredients, etc. Of course, the big brewers pretty well have the "rational" market wrapped up---good luck trying to out-Budweiser Budweiser---so the niche craft market has to compete on something other than economic efficiency and marketing.

And then there are the homebrewers. You will never find a more wretched hive of irrationality.

I still love the marketing campaign "tastes great vs. less filling".

On one hand you have people who drink it because it tastes great. On the other hand you have people who care less about taste but love the fact you can put away an 18 pack on not feel filled up :D

I just can't come close to making homebrew for the same price I can buy High Life so there will always be a spot for it in my fridge.

JoeBronco said:
I love the slogans -

1. turns out the coors boys have mastered a hot ice technique, involving ice, fire and some voodoo magic to make cold beer boil
2. triple hops brewed meaning 3 times the hops of ab products...I.e. nine hop pellets per bbl.
3. As far as slow brewing rice beer and beachwood aging, I'm just assuming its a Japanese bonzai garden in their primarys

Has anyone seen the new carberator tab commercials? I forget which beer it was, but it will probably be a big seller in a college towns. No more hole poking, just pop the tab and down the hatch. Great for those that don't like to taste thier beer as they drink it.

I thought tripple hopped meant three shipments of hops passed by the brewery on the way to the LHBS

If you've ever tried to brew a light american lager, you know that you have to be on your game. It is an exceptionally difficult style to make consistently well and free of off-flavors, and the fact that budweiser tastes the same in South Korea (where I lived for a year) as Denver is impressive. The same cannot be said for most of the beers I drank while I lived abroad.

That said, it is not a style I appreciate, mostly because the goal of the style is to keep flavor at a minimum. Nor is InBev a socially or environmentally responsible company. So, I applaud threads where we can bash BMC and we should all evangelize craft/local beer to reduce their power!

I still love the marketing campaign "tastes great vs. less filling".

On one hand you have people who drink it because it tastes great. On the other hand you have people who care less about taste but love the fact you can put away an 18 pack on not feel filled up :D

I just can't come close to making homebrew for the same price I can buy High Life so there will always be a spot for it in my fridge.

I loved John Madden in those commercials!

I have been looking for a Miller Lite clone. Is this the right section? I love this brew and want to make some for a party.

ColumbusAmongus said:
I have been looking for a Miller Lite clone. Is this the right section? I love this brew and want to make some for a party.

If your serious there is a clone search the recipe section

JoeBronco said:
I love the slogans -

Frost brewed and slow brewed...I don't think boiling wort classifies it as ”brewed”. I'm assuming they are talking about lager yeast as the frost brewed part and slow brewed for smoother taste as lagering the beer itself.

I recently went to a bar I'd never been to and proceeded to ask the bartender, "What is the hoppiest beer you have?" Her reply? Miller lite. After ignoring her reply and looking at all of the beer taps, I saw that that had a 78 IBU IPA. So much for having to learn about your products..

I'm willing to bet she got that from the fact that Miller is Triple Hops Brewed.

Phunhog said:

I would disagree. I think the sales have little to do with the greatness of the product. It may sound weird but there is a reason why BMC sells more beer, I think it is hardly because it is a greater beer than our craft beer.

ColumbusAmongus said:

If your party is this weekend, then you're in luck!

I have to admit that the triple hopped thing got me when I was younger and did not understand the brewing process. Although I was confused how something triple hopped could have so little actual hop flavor. As was said before, you could add a pellet per bbl three times and it would technically be "triple hopped."

Back