Tripel Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GundyGang1

Reaction score
Trying to go for a medium bodied, sweet, honey triple with some spice and earth under it...

(3.5 Gallon Batch)
Est. OG 1.081
Est. ABV 9.1

7 lbs 4.0 oz Pilsner (Weyermann)
1 lbs Caravienne Malt
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt
8.0 oz Honey Malt

Mash Steps
150.0 F 90 min
Batch sparge - 168.0

90 min boil
0.60 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.40 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.30 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
12.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) [Boil for 15 min]

1.0 pkg Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast Labs #1762)
1.0 pkg Belgian Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1214)
1.0 pkg Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787)

I would mash at 152 until conversion is complete, may not need the entire 90 minute mash time. 3 packs of yeast seems a little overkill for a 3.5 gal batch unless you are looking for the specific flavors in the yeast. IMHO, the belgian ale yeast would be a waste as its alchohol tolerance is around 6.5 -7%, im pulling that data from memory and could be wrong on that percentage.

Me, I would just use the Trappist high gravity and a good 1.5 liter starter about 24-48 hours before brew day

The grain build looks great and judging by hops, you should get a slightly sweet brew. Lemme know how it turns out, been looking for a good belgian tripel recipe!

Maybe swap out table sugar for brown sugar, think the molasses flavor would compliment the recipe very well.

I would mash at 152 until conversion is complete, may not need the entire 90 minute mash time. 3 packs of yeast seems a little overkill for a 3.5 gal batch unless you are looking for the specific flavors in the yeast. IMHO, the belgian ale yeast would be a waste as its alchohol tolerance is around 6.5 -7%, im pulling that data from memory and could be wrong on that percentage.

1214 is the chimay yeast, its alcohol tolerance is over 10%. I wouldnt use molasses or dark sugars in a tripel.

I think 3 yeasts is overkill, just use a recommended pitch of one of them, they are all complex enough. Of the 3, im partial to 3787, but they are all good yeasts. Thats alot of specialty malts and crystal for my taste, but you say you want a sweet trippel, and I like them drier, so whatever floats your boat. But keep it simple, trippels are not kitchen sink beers, keep it simple and let the yeast shine.

Back