Trip through Maine - Looking for Hard Cider Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuckbrewman

Reaction score
Hello all. My wife and I are going to be taking a road trip from Nova Scotia down into Maine for some shopping, in a couple of weeks time. We'll be travelling the I95 heading through Bangor, Portland, and Freeport on the way. I've been having a tough time lately finding quality hard cider kits locally (in Nova Scotia). Does anyone know of a homebrew location in any of those areas that may carry cider kits? Thanks for the help.

Cider is pretty straightforward. I really don't think you need a kit. A packet of yeast and maybe some campden tabs is about all you need from a homebrew store.

In Portland there is a shop on Forrest ave. I believe it's called Maine home brew supply, call em a head of time see if they have one..... If not i'm sure they would order one for you.

Also, right next to the HBS is a amazing beer bar called "the great lost bear" I would recommend visiting them. Another great visit would be the allagash brewery which is not far away.

Enjoy

Yeah, the problem is the availability of fresh cider or juice around here. I've made a couple of batches from scratch at I really liked them, but my wife didn't so much. I made a number of batches from kits and we both really like them, so kits are what we're looking for. The Vinoka brand from BC in particular was good. But naturally, because we like it, they stopped making it. So we're looking for an alternative.

Central Street Farmhouse - Brew Shop in Bangor has some good reviews. It's a great time of year for a N-S road trip through Maine. If you need any good pub stops let me know.

I'll second both Maine Homebrew Supply and the Great Lost Bear. Two excellent establishments. If you're in the Augusta area on your way down, you could also try Kennebec Homebrew Supply in Farmingdale. It's a pretty tiny shop, but they know their stuff.

Back