Trimming a plant now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
So I was a bad hoppie grower and I didn't trim the shoots to only 4-5 strong ones....as there were about 7 that all seemed to be growing the same rate for a while.....however recently I can see that there probably is 3 to 4 really strong shoots that are probably around 10-12 feet tall, while the other ones have now slowed down around 8-10 feet. These are 2nd year hops

Would it be more harmful to the plant to cut one of them now? Or is it better to cut the weaker ones off so I only have about 4 shoots?

:mug:

with first years, you typically don't trim. just let 'em be. the first growing season is about root growth and establishment.

my plants are first years too, and they're still putting out new bines. i'm letting them be, so hopefully next year will be awesome.

So is it safe to trim the smaller shoots back? I mean the "smaller" ones are probably around 8 feet at this point, and the taller ones around 10-12. They were all similar until about the past week or so when a few of them really took off. I just don't know if it's bad to trim the plant this late, like if it will be a shock to it or something.

I have 4 year old hops and have never trimmed any of them and the have only gotten better each year. I don't think the big growers have time to go trim all their plants so I wouldnt worry about it. Let them go and grow. The way I see it... the more bines, the mor ehops

Yeah, I figured it shouldn't bee too bad. It's not like I have 15 bines, I have 6 and none of them seem to really be holding it back. I'll just see what happens. It seems to be a very healthy plant, as it produced 2 shoots that yielded about 25 cones last year. Hoping this year I cash in!

Back